cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all payments in USD

Carl G Member Since: Jan 2, 2017
1 of 6

Hi all.  I'm trying to figure out payment methods.  I live in Thailand and have a Thai bank account.  Just to be clear, when a client pays me on Upwork, must they always pay in USD?  I realize there is a wire transfer option for sending money to a foreign bank.  But I'm thinking more along the lines of a scenario where the client has a Thai bank account--would they still have to pay me in USD, or could they transfer the Thai baht equivalent from their bank to mine without incurring fees (except Upwork's cut of course).  

Thanks in advance.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

@Carl G wrote:

could they transfer the Thai baht equivalent from their bank to mine without incurring fees (except Upwork's cut of course).  

Absolutely not. This would get both you and the client suspended.

All payments are made from the client to Upwork, and Upwork pays you. No exceptions.

3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.  

>> All payments are made from the client to Upwork, and Upwork pays you. No exceptions.

OK I understand this. But my question is more about currencies--does Upwork have a Thai baht account from which they can pay my Thai bank account?  Probably not, but just thought I'd ask.

Ace Contributor
Yoshua Yasmin S Member Since: Nov 9, 2016
4 of 6

All Upwork payments are in USD. Smiley Happy

5 of 6

Thanks, I appreciate that very much.  But I would be remiss if I didn't ask for a source on that.  Is that mentioned anywhere on the Upwork site?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

@Carl G wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate that very much.  But I would be remiss if I didn't ask for a source on that.

Just trust me on that. Upwork payment are always processed this way, always have been processed this way, there is no other way.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS