🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Are interviews outside of Upworks OK?
Page options
417266b0
Community Member

Are interviews outside of Upworks OK?

Hi, I'm new and have a vast amount of experience and skills. I'm having trouble getting my first job. I work full-time from home so I'm applying for short contracts that I can do in spare time to build up my portfolio (would love to do this full-time as my 'second career').

I've gotten a response on two of the several jobs I've applied for and both of them immediately sent me a link to somewhere outside of Upwork site (one drive) for an "interview".

I did not click those links or respond after that.

Is that acceptable? Please help me to understand the protocol. Also is it even worth it to apply to the jobs where the client is listed as 'payment unverified'?

Thank you very much.

12 REPLIES 12
wescowley
Community Member

No, until you've accepted an offer, all of the communication has to be through Upwork. After you've accepted an offer, you can communicate with your client however you want.

So if their first response to my offer is to send me a link to outside of
upworks I should just ignore it or decline it?

I usually give them a chance to correct it. Sometimes they are not aware of the policy. I'll send them a message to the effect of: "UpWork policy prevents me from speaking with potential clients outside of the platform." Then I give them alternative options for their "interview". 

In my experience, most (though not all) of the people that ask to "interview" outside of the platform are trying to scam you. They want to try to get you to send them account information and whatnot away from the protection of UpWork. Since Upwork has video, phone, and chat capabilities, there's really no reason they can't talk to you on there. 

Thank you. So what alternative options would you offer?

This happened to me on another site called Freelancer. They had me outside
of that platform right away and signed up and chatting with them on Google
Hangouts. They got way too friendly, way too fast and it just felt weird so
I bailed.

I just need to get some jobs on Upworks. I can do the work and I can do it
well. But so far I have not gotten any legitimate offers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I typically just remind them that UpWork has video chat, phone, and regular messaging - so we can discuss their project that way. 

Ah, yes. Seems like scammers love google hangouts. When I was a freelance newbie, they used to try to scam me there all the time. 

I know the feeling. It was a slow start for me at first. I ended up having to lower my rates significantly, then take a few smaller jobs. Eventually I lucked out with a client that has kept me on long term. That looked really good on my profile and then I was able to raise my rates for other work. 

You'll figure it out. It takes time, but don't give up! Make sure your rates are as affordable as you can make them and polish up your profile to make sure it sounds and looks good to shopping clients. 

OK thanks. I appreciate it.

I have recently used Upwork's Messages tool to do audio-only calls, video-audo conference calls AND Zoom calls generated within the tool.

All of these things have worked well for me, even in conversations with potential clients on other continents.

Upwork HAS made improvements and HAS added significant functionality (Zoom). At this time I really don't see a legitimate reason why a client would need to do interviews off of the platform.

That's good to know. Thank you very much.

There's no reason for a client to have an interview with you outside because all can be done within the chat here, or using those other tools Preston mentioned. But scammers don't want to be logged here, because you could report them. And even in a real contract the chat room provides some kind of proof for you when things go south. The use of Google Hangouts has always been a red flag here, and you're the perfect target for scammers: newcomer and in a crowded category.

As for not being able to get your first job... I'd say find something you love to do, if possible something not many people do, something that makes you unique and outstanding in the crowd. If you do exactly the same hundreds of thousands other people do it'll be really hard, depending upon being lucky or cheap. If you like to write about gardening, or sports, or technology is not the same as just saying "I'm a writer and can do blogs." A writer who can do a job in Latvian will catch attention more than others too. These are just examples. Once you decide your area it's good to have some portfolio pieces, even if they are not real clients. Do it consciously, focusing on details, it will represent you. But it's not only about your profile or proposals. I have seen profiles that are a disaster and they still get jobs. The point is actually to be persistent and apply to jobs you are 100% sure you can do well. But again, being in a saturated category doesn't help, there are thousands like you and some other thousands that do the same and already have jobs under their belt, so it's obvious a serious client will most likely choose those.

The "payment unverified" doesn't mean anything bad, just make sure that BEFORE you start a contract they do verify their payment method, that way you will be safe. New prospective clients will publish jobs with "payment unverified" but if they are serious they will become verified before sending you an offer. And be careful, an offer is not the same as a response through the chat. A chat will only be an interview. To start the job they need to send you an offer and you need to accept it, and make sure you accept it only when you have all the necessary material to do it. So applying to "payment unverified" clients' posts is not bad, you are giving the opportunity, just the same way they may give you the opportunity even while you have zero jobs done yet.

From what I understand, Upwork recently changed the policy: no contact with clients outside of UpWork until the contract has started.

It was on June 26, 2020 taht the policy changed.

Now all pre-contract communication needs to take place on the Upwork platform.

But that's fine! Upwork now offers Zoom meetings created from WITHIN the Upwork Messages tool.

And Upwork's audio-call and video-call features actually reliably now.

Preston H wrote:

It was on June 26, 2020 taht the policy changed.

Oh ok, I will edit my reply right away. I didn't know. Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths