🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Are you allowed to meet with a client in ...
Page options
briceimele
Community Member

Are you allowed to meet with a client in real life before the job is approved

Hello there,

Quick question. I recently applied to a job, I'm still not accepted, but, by private message, the client wants us to meet in real person, as we are in the same city, to talk about the project. Is it allowed by Upworks terms and conditions ? I don't want to get my account suspended as I just started, but meeting him in real life would make everything way easier.

Please, help

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mmh I think I found an answer to my own question:

• Contact Information Sharing: Keep contact with potential clients inside Upwork. Your profile can't include your email, Skype contact information, or links to any sites that include a way to contact you outside of Upwork. This includes a link to your personal website or a third-party profile or certification (like LinkedIn)

Extracted from this page : https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067618-Freelancer-Violations-and-Account-Holds

In conclusion I'd say that as long as the the client is still a potential client, I should keep the conversation on upwork. 

Thank you guys for your opinions and advices !

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Brice I wrote:

Quick question. I recently applied to a job, I'm still not accepted, but, by private message, the client wants us to meet in real person, as we are in the same city, to talk about the project. Is it allowed by Upworks terms and conditions ?

You may, as long as the client hires and pays you on Upwork if you end up working together.

colettelewis
Community Member

It is allowed, provided any contract you make with the client and any payment made is via Upwork. As this is your first job interview, you should be very careful. It seems to me to be a grey area. 

Did the client contact you via Upwork? 

Did the client contact you via Upwork? 

Yes he did, and yes it is a grey area..

re: "It seems to me to be a grey area."

Why is it a grey area?

it is relatively uncommon, because Upwork is used by clients and freelancers to meet people to do business with who are from all over the world.

Most Upwork users have no interest in meeting in person.

But there is no rule against it.

I have met Upwork clients in person, at their place of business and at a local restaurant. Payments went through Upwork.

Preston H wrote:

re: "It seems to me to be a grey area."

Why is it a grey area?

it is relatively uncommon, because Upwork is used by clients and freelancers to meet people to do business with who are from all over the world.

Most Upwork users have no interest in meeting in person.

But there is no rule against it.

I have met Upwork clients in person, at their place of business and at a local restaurant. Payments went through Upwork.

Preston I know and so I have I - in fact I have I have travelled with them. However, I think caution is always a good idea on a first job. 

I think the OP will be OK because in fact, he was contacted via Upwork - so it would be advisable for him from the get-go to make it quite clear to the client that contracts/payment must be done through Upwork. I know it is not the case here, but as you well know, there are many clients and freelancers who after a little internet search make contact away from Upwork. 

• Contact Information Sharing: Keep contact with potential clients inside Upwork. Your profile can't include your email, Skype contact information, or links to any sites that include a way to contact you outside of Upwork. This includes a link to your personal website or a third-party profile or certification (like LinkedIn)

Extracted from this page : https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067618-Freelancer-Violations-and-Account-Holds

In conclusion I'd say that as long as the the client is still a potential client, I should keep the conversation on upwork. 

Brice I wrote:

This is very poorly written in my opinion because moderators on here have said many times that you can give your client an e-mail for instance.  This is clearly meant to prevent circumvention and is how to avoid it.  

Some jobs I see actually require onsite work and/or travel.  I don't typically go after them and have never won one but obviously in that scenario you would have to see the client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths