cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assessment ended early

Jonathan O Member Since: Nov 30, 2016
1 of 3

Hi All,

I'm new to Upwork, and was taking an assessment for one of my programming languages. I think I was on question 28 of 50 after about 25 minutes, clicked my answer, and then it suddenly said that my assessment was complete. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to contact the people at Upwork to find some way to fix this? With nearly half the questions unanswered, my score will be well below what it should be.

Thanks,

Jon

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 3

Hi Jonathan,

Some of the skill tests use an adaptive model and are able to calculate the results after a certain amount of questions answered. This is by design.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Andrei G Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
3 of 3

Hello Jon,

and welcome to Upwork. I am almost as much a newcomer as you are and have experienced this aswell.

My assumption is was it is not a bug, but a feature, aimed at saving our time. I am guessing checks are made after each answer submission and (probably) based on answer times and total success score, the system decides to exit early.

I also happen to find scores from my first two tests inaccurate to my disadvantage and they happen to be on technologies I have used extensively, with results bringing me appreciation from both co-workers and clients. However, I admit I might have been over-confident and probably not focused enough. The funny part is I got better results than expected in subsequent tests, while testing skills I haven't had the opportunity to use in production yet.

I seriously doubt you will be allowed to retake the test(s) before the current one(s) expire(s). But, for what they're worth, here are a few self advices which worked for me:

1. Always read the question twice, even when sure about the answer. There is no point in rushing. Remember the rating will be in place for at least a month.
  2. Try to find (and go through) at least one online test for whatever you are testing, before taking the actual test. It will increase your "test-mode-zen" and help you go through the most important concepts of whatever you are testing.
  3. Don't be over-confident. (I had second thoughts on writing this one down but, since it's an actual advice I gave myself, and apparently it worked, I decided to leave it in).

Good luck!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS