🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Autism
Page options
0c421e3b
Community Member

Autism

I am new to Upwork, so I thought I would reach out to the community to ask a question.

I have Autism, and that presentation defintely shows up when I am interviewing for jobs on other platforms. I planned to post this query on another platform, but more feedback is always better.

I am inclcined to note my Autism on a proposal I submit as it is apparent when I interview.  I have mentioned I am a spectrum guy in other cover letters on other sites, and that has been helpful.  I have omitted my Autism on a CL, but have noted that in an interview.  I see my Autism as a strength, as seeing it as any other way suggests I have an invisible disability that leaves me ashamed. 

Someone could make the argument of "why bring it up if it's not addressed" but many, MANY asd folks could tell you countless stories of discrimination.  My inclination to note my disorder comes from potential employers saying "Thanks for saying something, I was curious about X/Y/Z".     Your feedback will be helpful for this forum as well as other opportunites I pursue.     I would not be surprised if there are other people on this platform who likely have encountered this situation/issue.

Thanks much for your time in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
f1ecd428
Community Member

I've had great experiences working with autistic people. They are usually trust-worthy, focused, smart and efficient. It can definitely be a strength. I wouldn't mention it on a proposal to avoid prejudices but I think it's totally fine to tell the client during an interview, after you've gained their trust, specially if you frame it as a strength. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
f1ecd428
Community Member

I've had great experiences working with autistic people. They are usually trust-worthy, focused, smart and efficient. It can definitely be a strength. I wouldn't mention it on a proposal to avoid prejudices but I think it's totally fine to tell the client during an interview, after you've gained their trust, specially if you frame it as a strength. 

That makes total sense.  Not sure why I am so nervous on this platform, but I appreiate you reaching out,

Todd

df602768
Community Member

Why when I click on your profile I see a completely different picture than what I see on the forum?

I have absolutely no idea why that is the case. 🤷‍:male_sign:
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths