🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Bad review - upwork
Page options
jelenajovkovska
Community Member

Bad review - upwork

Hi,

Hope all is well. I have a question about a bad review left on my account today.

I don't agree with the comment left and I can prove that the entire picture is not presented fully in the comment.

This gives me a bad start, since i have just started working with the platform. I was invited to an interview and gave my availability that I can do 10 hours a week.

They have agreed and said they will send me a test to see if my skills are a match for the project.

After that they said they will give me a first task as part of this and based on this they will test my skills and decide if they want to work with me or no.

I was given a query to complete and the deadline was two days, so they can check review and let me know. I completed the query within the given deadline. However in the mean time , my availability has been affected by my studies and I have politely sent them an email to explain the situation before we dig deeper into the project.

( Note: At this point I was still waiting for them to give me a review on the pervious work) Within the email I explained everything but they were still pushing me to complete some queries in 2 days ( 4 hours ) which I was not confident to promise or commit to them since I was not sure how long it will take me to complete these. I don't want to present a half finished job. The client insisted that this will not take more than 2 hours. After this, they have closed my contract and left a very bad review which indeed is not correct at all. Is there a way for me to do something about this? It's a very bad review and it really don't think it portrayes the entire picture of what happened 😞 

Thank you,

Jelena Jovkovska

6 REPLIES 6
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Upwork doesn't serve as a referee between clients and freelancers and decide whether feedback is fair or not. One of the things that you'll be rated on is your availability, so if you're not able to complete projects, it's bound to disappoint clients and affect your feedback regardless of how politely you tell them. If you don't want the public feedback visible on your profile, all you can do at this point is give the client a full refund; however, their private feedback will still count towards your job success score after you've completed enough projects for this calculation to appear.

True yes. I guess i should have planned this more properly. The reason for putting this out there was because i was not told for sure if i am the right person or no for the project, so i didn't want to get more in depth with the work and then back out. However i will know in future to plan out better in these kind of situations. Thank you.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

There is no review visible on your profile, it will probably appear after the payment is done. 

You have two options: refund to make it disappear, or leave it and hope for more clients. 

Every bad feedback has two sides. Everybody who gets bad feedback feels it is unfair. 

Nobody here is going to play referee, least a potential client that is looking for a freelancer. You can respond to the feedback, but that just looks petty and defensive. (One quick remark: If you are unavailabe to perform tasks that you were hired for, due to studies, you should be better able to plan your availability. This isn't even an emergency. A client can expect from a professional to be able to give a schedule and stick to it, and it's very understandable that he isn't happy when he can't rely on a schedule.)

True. The comment makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the feedback. I am not trying to put any bad review for the client, that's for sure. But some of the things put in the comment were not as presented. Anyway, i would need to deal with the consequences now. Thank you

colettelewis
Community Member

Jelena,

Did you in fact,  have an official Upwork contract in place?  If you didn't, the client cannot leave you any feedback on your account. 

However, if this is the case, it is against Upwork's terms of service to have any contact with an Upwork client away from the platform - so no talking on whatsapp, Telegram etc.  Do not have anything more to do with this client and please read as many help pages for beginners as possible. Start here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

ETA: Apologies for the first paragraph, which is not applicable. I see you have hours completed on your profile. 

So Christine is right, if you refund the client the public feedback won't show. But do read the help pages which will help you get started and show you what to avoid.  

Thank you Nichola.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths