🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Bank Account Compromised
Page options
oceanmathews
Community Member

Bank Account Compromised

The information I gave UpWork was used to cash $1,000+ checks from my checking account and now my banks suspects me.

The signature on the checks is almost identical to the signature on my driver's license which I provided as part of the verification process. I was also asked to give my debt card card information. Now that I think about it, that does not sound legit. I need answers ASAP.

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ocean M wrote:

The information I gave UpWork was used to cash $1,000+ checks from my checking account and now my banks suspects me.

The signature on the checks is almost identical to the signature on my driver's license which I provided as part of the verification process. I was also asked to give my debt card card information. Now that I think about it, that does not sound legit. I need answers ASAP.

Did you give this information to Upwork, or did you give it to an Upwork client?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ocean, 

I checked your account and it looks like you have removed the bank account that you have added for your Instant Pay payment method. Are you able to confirm if you shared your bank information to a client, or if they sent you a check for "equipment" that you need to purchase? 

While I look into this further, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ocean, 

I would like to confirm that we had another team look into this. The Customer Support Team will update you through your open support ticket so that you can be assisted further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths