cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bank Account Info?

Paul P Member Since: Jun 10, 2016
1 of 46

I'm fairly new to the Upwork community. The only communication I have received has been from financial scammers. Now Upwork is telling me they need my bank account information to verify my location. I'm expected to believe that? There are many ways to verify location without bank account information.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 46

Believe it. This has been discussed at great length in this topic: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Testing-freelancer-location-for-job-posts/td-p/334213

You're a US freelancer and you probably applied to a job that specified a US freelancer, and thus Upwork wants to verify your location by way of your bank account info.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 46

Hi Paul, 

I understand how you feel. We looked at several different ways to verify whether a freelancer was based in the U.S. Unfortunately, none were perfect, and it is still susceptible to workarounds by those trying to misrepresent their location. In this case, we decided that providing proof of a U.S. bank account would be simple, and secure. 

Please take note that when you supply your bank information, it will not be used for any other purpose but only to verify your location. 

-Avery
Untitled
Kathleen F Member Since: Apr 27, 2017
4 of 46

So i provided my bank information but the upwork credits never showed up in my account and it's been more than two weeks. There appears no way for me to resubmit the information. 

I'm new to Upwork also, and the only offers I've had are either from a scammer or someone who wants me to write their entire novel for them for $50. 

So I'm giving Upwork another week or so, but it's irritating because I went through an entire proposal and then got an error message that they only want U.S. clients, which I cannot confirm. 

Please advise. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 46

Hi Kathleen,

I checked and it looks like the two small amounts were charged to your account when you entered it as your payment method. If they still don't show on your online statement you can try calling your bank to check with them.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kathleen F Member Since: Apr 27, 2017
6 of 46

I actually went into my bank. They were never charged to my account.

So I guess I just can't verify my location then? There's no way that I can find to ask them to be resent. It seems like a glitch in the system. Is there any other way to get help with this?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 46

Hi Kathleen,

I checked and can confirm your billing method has already been verified. 

Tara C Member Since: Jun 11, 2017
8 of 46

Hi yes I am having the same issue here..

is there another way to approve my US status?

I just finished the w9!!

please let me know asap..or I am moving on from this site

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
9 of 46

@Tara C wrote:

Hi yes I am having the same issue here..

is there another way to approve my US status?

I just finished the w9!!

please let me know asap..or I am moving on from this site

Your problem is also your time zone doesn't jive with your location. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Cindy H Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
10 of 46

I have had the same problem.  I refuse to do so...I am moving on to.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS