cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bank Account Info? (proof of identity)

Miriam D Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
11 of 46

Im SORRY but this is not the best way. i live in southern califronia where we have Tijuana Mx. AS OUR NEIGHBORS they come here and can open bank accounts and be living across the border, in another country......

John M Member Since: Jun 29, 2017
12 of 46

Can you be very specific on why you believe that this is secure?  Do you guarantee that if there was an unauthorized transaction, will Upwork make it right and to what extent? These are very important questions ito consider because of the world we are living in today.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 46

John,

All confidential information, such as banking details are encrypted and stored securely and used by Upwork only to process payments and verify your location. We do encourage users to set up secure passwords, security questions and exercise General Electronic Security to prevent any unauthorized access to their accounts.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Stephanie J Member Since: Jan 16, 2018
14 of 46

Yes, but what if you guys get hacked? If it can happen to Target or Equifax it can certainly happen to you!

Cindy H Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
15 of 46

I was thinking the same thing.  If they get hacked they are going to find themselves seated next to Facebook on the same sinking ship. I just feel bad for the folks that already made the mistake of forwarding them their bank statements.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 46

@Cindy H wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.  If they get hacked they are going to find themselves seated next to Facebook on the same sinking ship. I just feel bad for the folks that already made the mistake of forwarding them their bank statements.

Don't feel bad for us.

Some of us are making a lot of money.... have been on the platform for years and understand how it works.

I really don't understand what the hysteria is about. The details on your bank statements are no more than anyone you have ever written a check to would already have....

Daniel R Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
17 of 46

So what to stop freelancer from opening a bank account .. i have opened two over the phone in the last two years, And i 'm traveling.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 46

@Daniel R wrote:

So what to stop freelancer from opening a bank account .. i have opened two over the phone in the last two years, And i 'm traveling.

You are not „travelling“, you are physically located in the Philippines and should not be setting your profile location as USA because that is not where you are physically located... 

Highlighted
Leslie K Member Since: Jan 13, 2019
19 of 46

There is another possibility...driver's license.     Cut up a sticker (label) to cover the DL# (or even cover part of the face if the person is very concerned about personal security; nobody can duplicate and steal a person's identity if only a part of their face is showing).  The address on the State ID or DL, along with some other proof, should be sufficient:
Additionally....photograph any bill or magazine sent to the person.  Car insurance showing the name and address as well (the coverage and account number can be covered with bits of paper).   

As for bank accounts, try to open a dedicated account if you can find one that requires a low opening amount.    
Would be nice to receive gift cards as payment but perhaps that's not do-able.

Andrea C Member Since: May 17, 2017
20 of 46

Hi Everyone:

I also have a problem with releasing banking information. With so many supposedly "secure" servers being hacked these days, that's all the information a scammer/hacker would need to steal your identity!

Anyone can open an account in an American Bank just like Americans can have Swiss Bank Accounts or accounts in the Cayman Islands. The UPS Store or Fed-X store gives people street addresses rather than a PO Box number and it can all be done on line.

UpWork already has our Social Security Numbers for tax purposes, it seems that would be sufficient for determining whether or not we are American.

What provisions have been made for people (like me) who have given up bank accounts/credit cards, etc.  altogether? I have 2 debit cards 1 is a spending account and the other is a savings account. Yes, they are associated with a bank, but not in the traditional sense. Your information request does not provide for that.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS