cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account Info?

Kourosh Cyrus P Member Since: Jun 20, 2017
21 of 46

Excellent obseravtion, what's up with the Upwork? Why do they require us to give them bank account information before even knowing what the job is!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 46

Cyrus,

You don't have to confirm your location right away. You'll still be able to browse and send proposals to jobs posted for freelancer located anywhere. However, if you want to be able to apply for jobs that specified that they need freelancers from the US, you'll need to add your bank account to verify your location.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Barbara P Member Since: Jul 9, 2017
23 of 46

Hello Upwork:

Excited about your site. Found a job I am qualified for and interested in, but the bank account information is a deal breaker for me.  In the past, I have already had some of my accounts hacked into and in today's  environment I just can't take that chance again. This seems to be an issue for many folks.... there's got to be a better way. if not -- I'm out.

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
24 of 46

Hi Barbara,

Aside from what Valeria mentioned on the security of your confidential information and accounts. You can also opt to choose from other payment methods to withdraw your earned funds. 

Here's the link to help you what are the other options.

Get Paid Options

Untitled
Cara S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
25 of 46

I'm an experienced voice over artist in Colorado and I set up a profile a few months ago to add Upwork to my marketing "stool". I finally got around to finishing my profile, and now I'm finding I need to provide my bank account info to even apply for US jobs?! 

Nope. Not going to do it. I don't need voiceover work that badly. 

Upwork, you need to find a different way of doing things. Voice123, Voices.com, Bodalgo.com, even Fiverr do not do things this way. Dealbreaker. 

How about having someone scan a copy of their utility bill and emailing it to you?  

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
26 of 46

Thanks for your feedback, Cara. We understand your concern and have been working on alternative ways to verify freelancers' location. We'll update the Community once it's introduced, so stay tuned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
27 of 46

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I really hope you guys come up with something safer and more respectful to the new talent on your site.  

Wylie T Member Since: Jan 19, 2018
28 of 46

Has another way been decided instead of routing info?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 46

@Cara S wrote:
I'm finding I need to provide my bank account info to even apply for US jobs?!

No. You only have to verify your bank account to apply to US *ONLY* jobs. There are plenty of jobs that don't have the US *ONLY* requirement.

Have you ever written a check? Do you understand that the info you are are asked to submit to an encrypted secure server is no more than what is printed on every check?

Upwork have had a number of my bank accounts for years, along with my PayPal and Payoneer accounts. All that info was ever used for was to send way over $ 200 k to my withdrawal methods.

30 of 46

I absolutely get that my bank account is necessary for US "only" jobs. As far as voice over on Upwork is concerned, it's a distinction without a difference. Have you perused the voice over listings available if you DON'T provide that info? 

If I write a check to, say, Target, and their system is hacked, they're at least a huge corporation that can help with fraud protection. If Upwork asked me for my credit card info, no problem. My credit card company has my back if something goes wrong. I do not trust Upwork to do the same, they probably don't have the resources to do so, and I feel I'm fairly justified in that sentiment. 

I'm glad you've had a good experience. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS