Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account Info?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 46

@Cara S wrote:

I do not trust Upwork to do the same, they probably don't have the resources to do so, and I feel I'm fairly justified in that sentiment.

You do? Based on what?

Maybe find one verified source where providing bank account info to this billion Dollar revenue company has led to any problem?

So you feel "justified" based on what, exactly?

You don't HAVE to give your bank info if you don't want to. I don't have access to "US only" jobs anyway because I am not in the US. I'm doing just fine without it.

In Europe, most companies and people who are self-employed have their bank details printed on all their stationary and even on their website. The hysteria over handing over a routing number and account number is actually quite amusing to them.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
32 of 46

re: "Maybe find one verified source where providing bank account info to this billion Dollar revenue company has led to any problem?"

Petra is correct.

There are no such reports.

There ARE thousands upon thousands of reports in the Community Forum and on external websites, including websites quite hostile to Upwork, about various problems... freelancers not finishing a project... the Upwork main website going down at peak times... clients who offer low-ball rates...

All kinds of things have been discussed and reported.

But nobody has had any problems due to providing their bank account info.

There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with being wary about this and deciding not to provide these details. But it is perfectly safe to do so.

Brett K Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
33 of 46

Paul P,

Hello I recently filled out my information for UPWORKS and at the end they wanted my routing number.

I was like is this legit? I would like to work on these jobs but I don't want to get screwed trying to get an income.

Is there anyway to know if UPwork is the actual company I want to work with.? Do we just have to go with it and see.

Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
34 of 46

Hi Brett,

Please note that you can proceed with using your account without providing this information on your account. The only difference is that you won't be able to bid on jobs looking for freelancers from the US. You do have the option to get the feel for our platform this way and if you're still interested in building a career on Upwork, proceed with completing the verification process and getting access to the jobs mentioned above.

A great place to start are our freelancer resources.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 46

re: "I was like is this legit? I would like to work on these jobs but I don't want to get screwed trying to get an income."

Upwork is legitimate and your bank information is secure and safe here.

There are no reports anywhere of people losing money because they provided Upwork their bank info. Go ahead and check for yourself.

If you are really worried, all you need to do is set up a separate account, different from you main account, and provide that that account information to Upwork. Try it out.

Michael H Member Since: Sep 14, 2017
36 of 46

Nope. It is utterly absurd that you want my bank info to apply for U.S. jobs. I'm about done with this site.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
37 of 46

Hi Michael,

I see you were asked to verify your location by providing a valid ID card and ran into issues doing that. We'll have somebody reach out to you directly and assist you with the process.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Samantha Danielle D Member Since: Nov 25, 2017
38 of 46

Hello Valeria, 

I was asked to verify my location using my driver's license which I did - at which point it continued to find issues with my legal name.  I generally do not input my entire 33 character legal name anywhere (even my credit cards are issued to S. last name last name), but in the interest of not having these issues, I went ahead and input my full first and last name which did not work.  So then I added the additional 10 characters for my middle name - that did not work.  So then I went in and changed it on my actual profile - and now I am being asked to input my bank account. 

I'm just confused because each time I follow your instructions and complete a step, a new step reveals itself - kind of like a choose your own ending novel.  Problem is, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight (where I will be allowed to start working $$$).  At least at some point Upwork seems to feel that I have given them enough information to be considered "rising talent," whatever that means.  

Help?  Thanks.

-S. D. D. D. M.

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
39 of 46

Hello S.D,

I just checked your account and I saw that you've already added your bank account. Now, you have to verify your bank account by confirming the 2 small deposits sent to your bank account. Please keep in mind that the 2 small amounts may take up to 3 days to show up. Thank you!

Untitled
Samantha Danielle D Member Since: Nov 25, 2017
40 of 46

Hello Ryan, 

Yes, I've seen this, but I was not aware when providing my bank account info that I still would have to wait for days for approval.  Had I known this, I probably would have avoided inputting this sensitive information and requested assistance with my license.  I am confused what the point of uploading my license was? 

Initially your website stated that with an approved driver's license, I would be permitted to start working US jobs immediately.  Why should I have to wait 3 days to apply to some of the jobs I'm looking at that I am qualified for due to the inability of the Upwork network to recognize my full name because it is on two lines of my US driver's license?  This is why I usually avoid inputting my full legal name into online forms - it causes technical issues as most sites cannot understand why I have more names than an 18th century princess.   Smiley Frustrated

Perhaps someone in your tech department can look into this for me or reach out to me and see if there is any way for them to manually compare my name + license and approve me without further delay?  

Thank you, 

Samantha 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS