🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Be careful, I just got scammed :(
Page options
ashley1227
Community Member

Be careful, I just got scammed :(

I am very new to this, so when I received an email from **edited for Community Guidelines**with an interview offer I was very excited. We had a langthy interview and he informed me for their researcher position I needed specific equipment and programs. I looked into this alot and it is confirmed that their are many companies who do this. Then he emailed me a check for the money to purchase the equipment and asked me to let him know when the check cleared, then asked me to set up a zelle account and transfer 500 from bank to that account. to purchase this stuff. By this time I was starting to catch on and thank goodness I didn't transfer any money. However, now I am really sad and also terrified to continue using upworks. BE CAREFUL ON HERE...

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Ashley. 

I would like to note that we do have teams and systems that help identify red flags if a user or a job post is fraudulent. But there are cases where we are unable to foresee a violation based on a client's job post itself or their initial communications with the freelancer. We usually receive flags when the interview stage has already commenced, where the client explicitly communicates this (ToS violation) with a freelancer. In cases like these, the teams involved take action immediately against the client's job post and account based on the report. If you haven't already, please flag the client's job post by clicking on the "Flag Inappropriate" link on the job post so that the team can review and take the necessary action on the job post, and the client's account.

Also, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

Ashley K wrote:

I am very new to this, so when I received an email from Barns and Nobles Press with an interview offer I was very excited. We had a langthy interview and he informed me for their researcher position I needed specific equipment and programs. I looked into this alot and it is confirmed that their are many companies who do this. Then he emailed me a check for the money to purchase the equipment and asked me to let him know when the check cleared, then asked me to set up a zelle account and transfer 500 from bank to that account. to purchase this stuff. By this time I was starting to catch on and thank goodness I didn't transfer any money. However, now I am really sad and also terrified to continue using upworks. BE CAREFUL ON HERE...

You're gonna get hit up by a lot more of them now.

why do you say that

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Ashley. 

I would like to note that we do have teams and systems that help identify red flags if a user or a job post is fraudulent. But there are cases where we are unable to foresee a violation based on a client's job post itself or their initial communications with the freelancer. We usually receive flags when the interview stage has already commenced, where the client explicitly communicates this (ToS violation) with a freelancer. In cases like these, the teams involved take action immediately against the client's job post and account based on the report. If you haven't already, please flag the client's job post by clicking on the "Flag Inappropriate" link on the job post so that the team can review and take the necessary action on the job post, and the client's account.

Also, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

He mentioned the post may be removed because of payment issues. That was actually when I started to catch on. Our messages are gone and his post is gone. I guess I learned my lesson. Glad I caught it in time.

Ashley, I'm glad you weren't taken advantage of like many a new(ish) freelancer, and you also have 2 actual jobs in progress, so keep up the good work, but bear in mind that whatever you might have read or heard, companies DO NOT provide equipment and programs to Upwork freelancers. The freelancer has to own the equipment already, or purchase it out of pocket, so any client that claims otherwise is highly suspect. But that shouldn't scare you away from Upwork, considering you've connected with two legit clients already.

Learning Paths