🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Been on Upwork for almost a year an no luck
Page options
sdeepj
Community Member

Been on Upwork for almost a year an no luck

I'm still trying to find work on Upwork, despite getting little or no responses. I the responses I get appear to be scams, as they want to talk to me on Telegram and that I have to buy their equipment. I landed one interview over Zoom and that's it. Despite being experienced in my field for over a decade and an academic who knows how to write for various audience, I get nothing. I feel it's getting to the point where, I don't want to bother putting together a bid, because I know it's not going to get looked at. Any advice on how to get that first job. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aliharvey
Community Member

Hi Sandeep!

I understand the struggle. It took me quite a while to get my first job as well. Even now, with a much better track record, it's still a struggle some days. My first piece of advice is not to give up! 

In looking at your profile, I can see that you have some excellent experience and education. However, I think your profile description and headline need some work. You want to word your profile like an ad—something that will catch your audience's attention and give them a clear idea of what you do and which of their problems you can solve in as few words as possible. 

What services are you offering? It looks like you are being very general, which can be a problem in this kind of industry. You really want to specify your industry AND a niche within that industry. It doesn't mean that you can't offer other related services, but clients will want to know what you specialize in. 

So, in general, try to rewrite your headline with this kind of format:

{Descriptor - Optional} {Main Role or Service Offered} (Specialty - Optional)

Example: "Experienced Copywriter Specializing in SEO Amazon Listings" or even just simply "Experienced SEO Copywriter"

Your description should be arranged something like this:

{Years of Experience} {What solutions you provide your clients} {What types of clients you serve} {What projects you specialize in} {Call to Action}

Example: For 15+ years, I have provided exceptional copywriting and editing services for ultra-busy entrepreneurs looking to carve out a space in a competitive market. Among the many services I offer, I specialize in social media ad content, SEO-optimized ecommerce listings, and custom email blasts. 

Reach out today to find out how I can help you optimize your business collateral to increase your revenue and reduce your workload. 

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out or add me to your network for further conversations. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aliharvey
Community Member

Hi Sandeep!

I understand the struggle. It took me quite a while to get my first job as well. Even now, with a much better track record, it's still a struggle some days. My first piece of advice is not to give up! 

In looking at your profile, I can see that you have some excellent experience and education. However, I think your profile description and headline need some work. You want to word your profile like an ad—something that will catch your audience's attention and give them a clear idea of what you do and which of their problems you can solve in as few words as possible. 

What services are you offering? It looks like you are being very general, which can be a problem in this kind of industry. You really want to specify your industry AND a niche within that industry. It doesn't mean that you can't offer other related services, but clients will want to know what you specialize in. 

So, in general, try to rewrite your headline with this kind of format:

{Descriptor - Optional} {Main Role or Service Offered} (Specialty - Optional)

Example: "Experienced Copywriter Specializing in SEO Amazon Listings" or even just simply "Experienced SEO Copywriter"

Your description should be arranged something like this:

{Years of Experience} {What solutions you provide your clients} {What types of clients you serve} {What projects you specialize in} {Call to Action}

Example: For 15+ years, I have provided exceptional copywriting and editing services for ultra-busy entrepreneurs looking to carve out a space in a competitive market. Among the many services I offer, I specialize in social media ad content, SEO-optimized ecommerce listings, and custom email blasts. 

Reach out today to find out how I can help you optimize your business collateral to increase your revenue and reduce your workload. 

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out or add me to your network for further conversations. 

sdeepj
Community Member

Thank you for your feedback, I really like your suggestions. 

marc_compte
Community Member

Hi Sandeep,

We are in a similar business 🙂  Alisha has given you some good advice.

In my opinion, your title could be improved. I don't think your title should mention what you "seek", but what you are, what you can offer to your potential clients. What you seek is your concern.

If I, as a client, the first thing I read is that you seek applying your research skills my first impression is that you have not worked outside the academic world and, while this has some value, I may be more inclined to hire someone who has actually used it outside, in the industry.

In my opinion, you mention being a scholar/academic and doing research too much. If I were you I would mention it, you could start with this and maybe it should also be in your title, but that's it. Saying it once is enough, the client doesn't need you to repeat it. It feels like you don't value yourself as much as you value your research or being an academic. Instead, describe your work and what you can do. Sometimes it may be a simple rephrasing. For instance:

"For almost 15 years, my research and work has utilitzed ..." => "For almost 15 years, I have utilized ..."

Clients are interested in you. Tell them what you know right away and not in passive or third person. Your research did nothing, you did, and that is what you need to communicate.

And most importantly, if you still want to succeed, don't despair. Try to remain calm, keep looking for jobs often, apply only to jobs that are a perfect fit for you, use the filters and saved searches (if that ever comes back). Try to get the client's attention in your proposal. I'm sure that after a year you had time to read all the guides that are available on Upwork to make good proposals and get jobs, but maybe you can go through them once more to refresh your memory.

Hope you land your first job soon!

sdeepj
Community Member

Thanks Alisha and Marc,

I really appreciate both of your inputs, both are real helpful. I think coming from an academic background, there's this need to talk about things in the third person and distance yourself from the work. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths