cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Before you yell "I need HELP" ...

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
21 of 27

The thing is, when a new user posts their question, they don't realize that the regulars here have seen that exact question 20 times that day alone. 

Sometimes I get frustrated too, especially since Vlad's stickied post is the first thing they should see.  When that happens, I have to take a break for a few days, or draw stick figures for Coffee Break Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
22 of 27

Valeria,

Why not send an e-mail to new users when they register, containing Vlad's post? It is not a 100% foolproof solution because many don't read or read in diagonal, but at least if they run into an issue they may remember having received an e-mail about this and decide to take some time reading it...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
23 of 27

Thank you for responding, Valeria .... and I do understand culling thru all the posts can give every moderator a migraine.  

Somehow it needs to be ingrained in new users that doing a search is a positive thing.  I've noticed that the queries that begin with wording along the lines of "I've looked for answers but ..." get much more helpful responses.  At least the individual isn't lazy.

@ Christy, I, for one, like your stick figures.  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
24 of 27

I had another thought regarding the observation that newcomers post questions, get answers, and never bother to give thanks. When they see Community Guru below your pic, they may understandably assume that you work for Upwork and answering questions is part of your job. It would still be nice to get thanks, but I understand their mindset.

25 of 27

In addition to what Rene suggested, I would love to see a requirement implemented that would require new users to tick off a box stating they have READ the TOS.  Not just a simple "yep, did it, whatever" but one that would prevent them from putting in a single proposal until they had done so, preferably with a mini-quiz afterward.

I'm afraid I'm close to drawing stick figures with Christy today, which is entirely unusual for me.  My "peopling" skills are flickering worse than a cheap lamp with a mouse-chewed cord.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
26 of 27

Some years ago, it was obligatory to pass the  oDesk readiness test before you were allowed to bid. Upwork should bring that test back and regularly change the Q&As so that the answers are not so readily found on the internet.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
27 of 27

@ Nichola:  I totally agree, Nichola! I took the test myself; passing on my own merit.  Woman Happy  It sincerely amazes me the # (let alone the types) of questions that come to this Community that really shouldn't (at least in my opinion) based on the wealth of information on the Upwork platform.  Since I have a tendency to be analytical, I've attempted to ascertain if it's mainly a result of laziness, ignorance...  I guess this is one of those many cases whereby

"it is what it is"  applies. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS