Before you yell "I need HELP" ...

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
1 of 27

Check out these links BEFORE you find yourself in dire need of help:

Read everything in this section:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/bd-p/New_to_Upwork

In this RFP a scam? Read/memorize the info below:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Upwork has multiple tools to help you learn what you're doing. Webinars. Videos. The above links.

Now read the site's ToS (Terms of Service - an acronym you'll want to remember).

Once you've finished your reading list and assimilated it - only then are you really competent enough to start bidding on projects.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 27

Similarly...

If you're a newbie here on Upwork...

You can't just drop into the Forum and post a new thread saying:

"I'm new here. How do I get started?"

or

"I don't know what to do. Tell me!"

Don't do that!

There is a whole Help section. There are videos. There is a whole Forum section titled "New to Upwork." There are specific threads that address this topic.

When a freelancer comes here and just asks an open-ended question like that, it seems like they are incredibly lazy and want somebody to take their hand and maybe do all the initial steps for them, or tell them each button to click, each word to type, etc.

That kind of question serves no purpose whatsoever.

If a newbie has a specific question, she should first search for the answer in Upwork's Help section and in the Community Forum. If she really doesn't find the information, then she should feel free to post her question here.

But none of this: "Hi, I'm new! How do I get a job here?" ridiculousness.

That's been asked and answered.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 27

Yes, well ... I think this has been tried before, right Wendy? Maybe this time it will take, but let's not hold our breath.

I've detected some folks losing a little patience in their responses to newbies and I don't blame them one bit. I know something Preston said last night was edited out, but I completely agreed to how he responded to that poster. I just bit my tongue and didn't respond.

I myself have backed off helping quite a bit, mostly because I'm tired of all the people coming here for help who can't be bothered to come back and say thank you. I'm tired of the liars and photo and profile stealers. I'm tired of people lying about where they are, like someone now who is in "Seattle", but is 12.5 hours ahead of me. I'm tired of seeing how easily people fall for the most ridiculously obvious scams, like the person who was asked to buy sleeping bags for the homeless ... I mean, c'mon. I think we should all just give it a rest for awhile - maybe see what happens with all these folks when someone doesn't hold their hand.

I guess I'm feeling a little Grinchy.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 27

@Virginia F wrote:

I myself have backed off helping quite a bit, mostly because I'm tired of all the people coming here for help who can't be bothered to come back and say thank you.

I share that feeling, but I tell myself it's possible (though unlikely) that they don't know how to reply to their own thread. For sure they don't know how to give kudos, not that I care about that very much.

5 of 27

As y'all know, this isn't the first time I've posted something like this.  As so have many of you. 

Preston, your patience with the 'same old same old' is remarkable.  Mine has worn thin.

So, my sorta Christmas gift to one and all,  consider this thread an easy answer to all lazy questions going forward.

Community Guru
6 of 27

I know ... and I appreciate you giving it the old college try. I will not bother writing short stories as many seem wont to do - especially if I look at a profile first and smell something funny.

I like helping people, I really do ... but lately Upwork seems to be overwhelmingly flooded with people who have no business being here. They think all they have to do is sign up and jobs will fall into their laps. I never thought that when I started freelancing in the real world, and didn't expect online to be any easier. I have to shake my head at those folks who expect immediate success.

Community Guru
7 of 27

See .... someone didn't see this post and posted a new "help" thread. I just answered with this link.

Community Guru
8 of 27

Wendy - can you make the subject line all UPPER CASE AND BOLD?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 27

Snortle. I would if I could, Virginia. And in neon red. With flashing lights. Maybe a palm tree or two, Vegas style.

As has been noted time and again,  many noobs don't get that freelance has two other words attached if you want to make money.

Experience

Professionalism

With luck and a hunk of work the Experience part leads to the 2nd half of the equation - Professionalism.

Community Guru
10 of 27

Yes - sometimes I wonder at the disconnect. Just because you have a skill, doesn't mean you can take that skill and be a freelancer. Working with clients requires much more than just knowing how to do something.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS