cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you yell "I need HELP" ...

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 27

Many are confused and totally lost. They struggle with English, they browse the site clicking here and there until they stumble upon some place where a big green button is shining, appealing. The button seems to allow messages to be sent, to someone. Maybe someone with Upwork who can help them and tell them how to earn money. On Upwork, they say, you can earn money. From clients.

So they click on the button and they ask for help, somehow, with their limited vocabulary. Once this is done, they stop and they stare at the screen for a while, waiting for something to happen. An answer to pop up, somehow. Somewhere.

At this point nothing happening, after a while they click again here and there and are sent to another part of the site. Everything is confusing, reading in a language they can barely understand.

They don't know how to get back to the green button. They slip away and never come back for your answers.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
12 of 27

@ Rene K.:  Rene, the writer in you is showing and is excellent! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 27

@Pat M wrote:

Thanks. what about the a**hole in me?

:-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
14 of 27

@Rene K. wrote:

@Pat M wrote:

Thanks. what about the a**hole in me?

:-)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, whatever do you mean? hahaha

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
15 of 27

Some postings are ridiculous but whatever, skip...

It's a giant website, there is alot of information to diger. Some tutorials, videos may be outdated, the forum may present misleading or contradicting information. There is no "start here"

Also, a waste to link from the main site to the blog section when you click "New to Upwork!"

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 27

Claudia, I totally agree.  I had posted the thread in Freelancers section ... and a moderator moved it here.  Without letting me know ... ergo I couldn't explain WHY it was in Freelancers section.  And to which it should be moved back.

Does ARGH suffice?  With thanks to our Nomadic Scott for the often used word.  Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
17 of 27

Wow, I didn't even notice that!  Yeah, that should link to the New to Upwork section or, even better, it should like directly to Vlad's stickied post there.

@Claudia Z wrote:

Also, a waste to link from the main site to the blog section when you click "New to Upwork!"

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 27

Claudia Z wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out, Claudia. I believe it's supposed to link to a particular article. 

I'll share this with the team.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
19 of 27

Valeria, as I wrote in response to Claudia, the thread was posted in Freelancers section and a moderator moved it possibly without reading it and certainly without notifying me - hence I could not explain WHY it belonged in Freelancers.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 27

Hi Wendy, 

The topic of this thread has to do with new freelancers or freelancers who haven't had jobs on Upwork yet, that's why it was moved to this board.

You may have also noticed that whenever freelancers post such questions anywhere in the Community, their posts are moved here to the New to Upwork board and merged with other threads on that topic where their questions may have already been answered.

Since Upwork site is pretty complex and takes some time to figure out we understand that it may be difficult for new users to find the information they are looking for at first. That's why we continue working on adding and improving features that would help them find what they need.

We'd also appreciate patience of more experienced members of the Community.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS