🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Beginner: payment method
Page options
hawkeye2001
Community Member

Beginner: payment method

So I'm new here and I'm 18 and very confused. When i made a profile here, i also made a paypal profile and submitted it as a payment method. I still didn't finish any jobs but i saw on my profile that getting paid and my paypal profile are inactive, i don't know what to do. Also there's a message that says i have to complete some kind of certificate for taxes or sth (i live in the eu) i think it's called W-8BEN and it demands my legal business name and vat number, and i have neither of those and i don't even know what vat or that certificate is. Please help me >~< ps. I don't have a bank account, is it necessary or is paypal enough? Thanks a million
2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Yomna,

Paypal is one of the options available for you to use as a payment method on Upwork.The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately. 

To help you get started on Upwork, I encourage you to read through the freelancer section of this thread. If you have other questions or need assistance with, please let us know. We're here to help. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
joannielsen
Community Member

Darling, just fill the form and send it back. It is to confirm that you are not a US citizen so they don't deduct tax from your earnings.  You said you don't have any bank account and want to use PayPal only. You will eventually need a bank account if you want to use PayPal. How would you withdraw the money from PayPal? Also, PayPal has a limit for unverified accounts. If you exceed that limit, they will eventually ask for your ID, bank information, etc. So, you better open a bank account and link it to your PayPal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths