🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Beginner's MISTAKE: Want to End Contract
Page options
translatafr
Community Member

Beginner's MISTAKE: Want to End Contract

Hello Smiley Very Happy

I am fairly new on Upwork and probably made a beginner's mistake Smiley Frustrated

Client underestimated the time required to complete the task and we have now a contract running.

I have started and as I am working I realize that there is actually a lot more (a LOT) to be done than what they made me believe.

I have sent a message asking for clarification and I intend to ask more time and money to complete the task successfully but if they refuse I would like to end the contract.

My question... is there an option to give a reason for the ending the contract?

Something like "client asking unreasonnable task" or "misleading information from client"?

I am hoping that then Upwork would not allow the client to leave a negative review wich I suppose they would leave saying something along the lines of "did not complete the task".

Thank you for your help Smiley Wink

Good evening.

Céline

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Celine:

You are a freelancer.

You can end a contract AT ANY TIME.

It is not against the rules to end a contract.

You do NOT need to provide a reason.

If you end a fixed-price contract, doing so will AUTOMATICALLY refund the escrow money back to the client.

If you earned no money from the contract, then there will be no mention of the contract at all on your public profile. No listing. No feedback will appear. The only way the contract will impact you is is the client leaves negative private feedback. That could impact JSS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Celine:

You are a freelancer.

You can end a contract AT ANY TIME.

It is not against the rules to end a contract.

You do NOT need to provide a reason.

If you end a fixed-price contract, doing so will AUTOMATICALLY refund the escrow money back to the client.

If you earned no money from the contract, then there will be no mention of the contract at all on your public profile. No listing. No feedback will appear. The only way the contract will impact you is is the client leaves negative private feedback. That could impact JSS.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's up to you to estimate how much time it will take to complete a project; clients aren't usually experts in the tasks that they hire freelancers to do. If I quote a client a fixed price then I always stick to it, and if I get underpaid then I consider it to be my mistake for not scoping the project properly. However, as an alternative to just cancelling the project and walking away, you could try explaining your mistake to the client and renegotiate the rate. They would probably prefer that as an alternative to starting over with s new freelancer.
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

In answer to your other question, no, there's no way to avoid a negative review in your case. If you close the project yourself then there's a chance the client won't leave feedback.

Thank you Christine. Smiley Very Happy

Does it make a difference if I close the contract and not the client?

Have a good day.

Céline

re: "Does it make a difference if I close the contract and not the client?"

If YOU close the contract, then it is possible for the client to never leave feedback.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths