Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Over Charged?

Highlighted
Mike B Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
1 of 11

Hello,

I have used elance/upwork many times but recently started forcing hires to use the tracker instead of manual time.  Please educate me so I do nto accue my freelancer of trying to take advantadge of me.

So I have received a tiemsheet that shows what I feel was an extraordinary amount of time to complete a task.  I look at teh details of the timesheet and I see screen shots at select intervals.  The screen shots basically show me that a file in Notepad++ was open on the screen.  Over time i see that the file was been scrolled up and down but I do not see any changes to the file.  Also I notice that at least 50% of the screen shots show a file that is not related to my project. I looked at the details of the time snapshots and see that there is 0 mouse events and on average 5-10 keyboard events per minute.

So I feel that a large numbmer of hours that are showing screenshots with someone elses file should be removed from my billing account, also to me looking at the mouse and keyboard events it seems like there is little to no work being done.

Again, I do not want to accuse the freelancer of anything, I want to make sure I understand what the data is telling me.

Comments welcome.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 11

So there was scrolling but no mouse events? That's interesting. So they only include right or left mouse clicks as "activity."

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 11

re: "I have used elance/upwork many times but recently started forcing hires to use the tracker instead of manual time."

I think it is a good idea.

Unless there is a genuine compelling reason to use manual time...

(I want you to paint me a landing page image in watercolor... I am hiring you to take photographs of bridges... I want you to bake and decorate a cake that celebrate's my website...)

...then it is better to require freelancers to use the time tracker application.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

@Mike B wrote:

Again, I do not want to accuse the freelancer of anything, I want to make sure I understand what the data is telling me.

Comments welcome.

Your first port of call is to discuss it with the freelancer in question.

If that does not bring a suitable resolution (which will be an explanation and / or removal of the hours in question) you can dispute the hours for LAST WEEK ONLY (and you only have until tomorrow midnight UTC to do so)

I don't want to accuse your freelancer of anything either but my first instinct would be what we call "milking the clock" and that might be a sign that this freelancer is not who you want to keep working with...

BUT - as I said above: Discuss it with the freelancer, but keep in mind that you only have until Friday night UTC to dispute **IF** that becomes necessary.

Jose R Member Since: Oct 28, 2016
5 of 11

You bet you are being over charged. As you, I have use upwork many times before but since last year it seems there is a policy from upwork to protect the payment of the freelancer even when the work done is less than regular job. For instance, they don't let you change the rating once you found out a problem with the system even when a short time has passed. Then you, when you find a freelancer that charges you more than expected they fill disputes and you are forced to pay even when you are not ok with the work done.

Regards

Jose.

6 of 11

Thank you for the replies.  So something billed yesterday i only have until Tomorrow to figure out if I want to dispute?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 11

@Mike B wrote:

Thank you for the replies.  So something billed yesterday i only have until Tomorrow to figure out if I want to dispute?

Time LOGGED yesterday your freelancer can remove until Monday midday UTC, you can dispute it from Monday afternoon UTC until Friday midnight UTC.

Mike, TALK to the freelancer! Disputes are really always ONLY a last resort when all normal communication has failed.

Successful clients and successful freelancers NEVER have a dispute because it never goes that far.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 11

@Mike B wrote:

Hello,

I have used elance/upwork many times but recently started forcing hires to use the tracker instead of manual time.  Please educate me so I do nto accue my freelancer of trying to take advantadge of me.

. . .

I can understand your using the tracker instead of manual, but what sort of "force" do you use? Why do you hire freelancers who need to be "forced"? 

I am also interested that you had to do this recently (please don't take this as criticism. It's not meant to be). I'm not saying there were not scams on both sides, but when Upwork was oDesk, there mostly seemed to be a level of mutual trust between client and freelancer that now seems to be entirely missing.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 11

When you create an offer, you can turn off manual time. The freelancer will see it listed as "no" in the offer, so you have to be careful about that if you only use manual time.

10 of 11

What Jen said... 

I am simply disabling the ability for them to enter manual time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS