🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Being asked to write a review
Page options
rachelnice1
Community Member

Being asked to write a review

Hi,

I submitted a proposal this morning to do a short copy writing job.  She got back to me and said she runs a "reputation management" company, and specifically said, 

"The job would entail doing copy work from the perspective of the "satisfied customer" on different sites to bolster the client’s online presence."

Is this a normal job that people do?  I feel like since I am not actually a customer that I shouldn't be writing reviews for others like this.  This isn't ethical, is it?  I am not familiar enough with this industry to know if this is normal or not.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

@Rachel N wrote:

Hi,

I submitted a proposal this morning to do a short copy writing job.  She got back to me and said she runs a "reputation management" company, and specifically said, 

"The job would entail doing copy work from the perspective of the "satisfied customer" on different sites to bolster the client’s online presence."

Is this a normal job that people do?  I feel like since I am not actually a customer that I shouldn't be writing reviews for others like this.  This isn't ethical, is it?  I am not familiar enough with this industry to know if this is normal or not.

It's not only "not ethical" - it can even violate Upwork's terms of service. Writing Amazon Reviews, for example, would be such a case. Most sites specifically forbid paid reviews, even if the writer of the review actually USED the product. (Amazon for example.)

Upwork forbids posting or working jobs which violate another site's terms of service so you are right to be concerned.

Reject and report.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, our team is looking into this and will review the client and will take action as per our internal processes. If you have more details about this client or screenshots of messages please send me the private message with more details. You can report a client either by clicking on the cog wheel next to their messages and reporting it as inappropriate or by flagging their job posting. The team reviews all reports against Upwork ToS and takes actions as needed. Check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths