cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Best Ways to Recover from Low Job Success Score?

Highlighted
Marina M Member Since: Nov 13, 2016
1 of 14

Hey guys,

So I have been on Upwork for about 2 months now. I thought I was doing really well until I had a problem with a client. Basically she requested an article saying a short intro and a paragraph for each product would be enough.

Okay, no problem. I wrote the article and submitted it before the deadline; she thanked me and said she would get back to me with any potential edits.

Except she didn't. She just left me feebdack saying I didn't go ''above and beyond''.

Honestly, I am not sure what she was expecting. I think I wrote a pretty good article given how limiting the topic was. I would have happily edited anything, had she mentioned she wasn't satisfied. But she didn't give me the chance. 

I am still learning my way around Upwork, so I decided to refund her money and just put it all behind me. I didn't think my Job Score (which I just got) would end up so low.

Should I be hopeless? All my other clients either continue working with me or have left 5 star reviews. 

Ugh I feel so frustrated. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 14

You're chasing after the wrong clients but you don't appear to have expertise in anything so maybe they are you're only option? You're also working for 3 bucks an hour as a VA, so your profile is confusing.

Anyway, I'm sure you can recover. 63% is pretty low, but you can recover if you do things you know you can do.

3 of 14

My focus is on writing blogs posts/articles. 

I accepted the VA position because it involves a lot of product page copywriting and I wanted to expand my skills to that area. 

I haven't had any trouble finding clients, but I didn't have my Job Score until today. And from what I googled, refunding a client is terrible for that. I'm still learning the ropes, so I had no idea. Oh well.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 14

The refund doesn't give you the poor score. It's the client feedback. If you're refunding, the contract went bad most of the time, so yeah you can't refund your way out of a bad JSS.

You're one of those cheap blaaaaahg writers. Better to specialize in something and be a high priced writer. You know you're in a good place when people complain about your rate being higher than everyone else's. 

Highlighted
5 of 14

I graduated a year ago. 

I haven't been on the job market long enough to be demanding super high, expert prices. That would be dishonest and inaccurate. 

I don't see anything wrong with building your way up, which is what I plan to continue on doing. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 14

tbf, going for a high rate isn't dishonest. Misrepresenting your skills is dishonest. I stlil say you should own a topic and smash wallets with it, but OK. Good luck.

Highlighted
7 of 14

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 14

Marina,

It would be a good idea to take Jennifer's advice to heart. She really does know what she is talking about, Graduates? We are all graduates - two a penny. We have to prove the pennies can be turned into dollars.

ETA: You have one "ongoing" client you could do without. Ask the client who is paying far less than your profile rate, to close your contract, unless you are still actively working for him or her. Otherwise, close it yourself and leave honest feedback.

Highlighted
9 of 14

Hi Nichola!

Thanks for the suggestions. What I meant by being a recent graduate is that I'm still fresh out of school. So I don't really think I am an expert to command high rates. I am just getting started. I usually bid for intermediate projects. 

I think I know which contract you're talking about. He was one of my first projects here. It can be hard to land your first client, and I accepted it since I knew a lot about the topic from personal experience. But you do raise a good point. I haven't worked with him since, so I'll kindly ask him to close the contract. 

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 14

@Marina M wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with building your way up, which is what I plan to continue on doing. 

Your JSS has decreased to 63%. Maybe you should change your plans and start doing something different. Whatever you are doing is not working at all.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless