🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Beware Scammer: **Edited for Community Gu...
Page options
9e6c8337
Community Member

Beware Scammer: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Job Posting carries the title of: "Voice Acting Professional needed to work with our company"

It's a scam. First red flag was the instruction to trade job information details on Skype, using the text only feature. Yes, I know, it violated the rule of chatting outside of Upwork, but it's what the customer wanted. So, I did it. The scammer claims to represent the **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I called the **Edited for Community Guidelines** after I sniffed this one out. They don't hire off Upwork.

Final straw was the scammer requiring a bunch of equipment that I did not have, and offering to send me a check to buy said equipment so I could get started. That's where the conversation ended. I had doubts when they told me the equipment they required, since most **Edited for Community Guidelines** essentially do the same thing. Some are a little better than others, depending the job that you do, but you do not need specialized equipment or software.

I didn't lose any money. Just a good chunk of the workday feeling this one out. Which is, I guess, lost money.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Hi Bill,

It seems weird to me that a moderator would have edited your post "for Community Guidelines" without telling you that communicating on Skype before you have a contract in place is a violation of the Terms of Service.  So it might be a good idea to get to know those if you're still planning to see contracts on Upwork.

https://www.upwork.com/legal#unfairtreatment

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.26.17 PM.png

This is another good read if you're just starting out on the platform:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
renata101
Community Member

Hi Bill,

It seems weird to me that a moderator would have edited your post "for Community Guidelines" without telling you that communicating on Skype before you have a contract in place is a violation of the Terms of Service.  So it might be a good idea to get to know those if you're still planning to see contracts on Upwork.

https://www.upwork.com/legal#unfairtreatment

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.26.17 PM.png

This is another good read if you're just starting out on the platform:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

martina_plaschka
Community Member

The question is: why?

You knew you violated the rules which are specifically in place to protect you from scammers. 

The more serious consequence could be losing your profile. 

Why would you risk that? I don't understand. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Bill B wrote:

First red flag was the instruction to trade job information details on Skype, using the text only feature. Yes, I know, it violated the rule of chatting outside of Upwork, but it's what the customer wanted. So, I did it.

Messaging over Skype isn't something that a real client would insist on; it's only required by scammers, and you played right into their hands. Had you stopped at that point and flagged the job as inappropriate, you wouldn't have wasted any more of your own time and the time of whoever you called to ask about this scam (which was also against the ToS, by the way).

6be8cf91
Community Member

Hello bill, some one is telling me to pay him $40 insurance fee before I can work for him on Upwork. 

Is that because you also went against the terms of service and contacted this person on Skype or What's App? That isn't a real client, it's a scammer who's trying to steal your money. You will need to spend a lot more time working on your profile, or you will only ever receive messages from scammers; Upwork is highly competitive and it's therefore very difficult for a new freelancer to find any work unless they're prepared to make a huge effort to market themselves and provide a niche skill. Read this before you do anything else: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

One client is telling me I'll have to pay him a $40 insurance fee before I can start working for him 

Is it true or not?

Hi Vincent,

Christine is correct. Communicating outside Upwork before a contract starts is against our Terms of Service. Christine has shared a helpful link regarding top red flags for scams and it would highly benefit you if you check it. Additionally, if you encounter the same experience, you may report them to us so we can further investigate and take proper actions.

~ AJ
Upwork

Yes, I understand that you're not supposed to communicate outside of Upwork. Now. Did I know it then? Vaguely. But I was under the impression that it's because Upwork didn't want to lose a source of income. I can't blame Upwork for that. This is why I thought that policy was put into place.

I work a lot on Audible, but also find work here. I had no IDEA that the same scam artists who proliferate Audible also ply the Upwork trade. I realize it now. I did not realize it yesterday. I do now. I have so much experience on Audible now that I can spot a scammer a mile away. I don't have that same experience with Upwork. Yet.

I appreciate your helpful tips and guidance. I did not intend to violate Upwork's term's of service agreement. I won't do it again. I didn't lose anything but my time and I will not make the same mistakes in the future.

Bill

PS: I encountered a similar scam just yesterday. I haven't reported it. Yet. But I will. Once again, I was offered to interview for a job over a Skype chat. I politely declined. See? Even us old dogs can learn.

Yep, gotta always remain vigilant.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths