🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Beware of Scammers
Page options
stellaanyakee
Community Member

Beware of Scammers

Scammers always want you to open links/ join Whatsapp chats etc anything to take one outside upwork, after applying for their job postings to unleash their fraudulent activities. Some will even request you pay some money to them before starting the job, that they will double it as soon as possible. Please run away from such people.

I will advise,we also check out the clients hire rate, feedbacks from freelancers etc.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can easily know if a client is real or not by telling him that communicating outside Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. If they are not real, they will stop communicating with you.

Breaking the rules to see if they are real or not is still violating Upwork's rules.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
2dc94634
Community Member

Thank you for sharing this. I'm brand new here and I submitted a proposal for a client needing proofreading, who is in a different time zone and stated in their project description that the expectation is to have a Zoom call with the chosen person to discuss the proofreading feedback. I was not sure if that's a common practice on here, as I would think you would normally want proofreading feedback via a Word document or similar. Have you heard of this type of request (Zoom calls) for simple short-term proofreading tasks? Curious what to make of it.  

stellaanyakee
Community Member

Some clients request for zoom call,even though it's against upwork rules, but I think you should listen to what they have to say first,then you know if they are real or not

You can easily know if a client is real or not by telling him that communicating outside Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. If they are not real, they will stop communicating with you.

Breaking the rules to see if they are real or not is still violating Upwork's rules.

Stella A wrote:

Some clients request for zoom call,even though it's against upwork rules, but I think you should listen to what they have to say first,then you know if they are real or not

Upwork has an integrated Zoom feature, so it's not against the rules to use that. Click on the phone icon at the top of your message board to initiate a call.

73c18b999408051c
Community Member

just got scammed by a Freelancer artist on here **Edited for Community Guidelines**  She agreed to do a drawing for me 

over a munth ago she asked for partial payment i made the payment now she's completely ignoring me

I would advise not hiring her find someone else

ladybud
Community Member

I'm signing as freelancer and received message and invited me outside upwork. They are offering a job as data entry, such an easy work. They don't want some contract for my outside job from upwork to secure the payment. They are using telegram instead.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths