🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Beware of Scammers!
Page options
kei-pure
Community Member

Beware of Scammers!

If you get a message like this DO NOT RESPOND! I nearly got scammed.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The lady gave me a text interview an lied about the benefits. She sent me a check for $4k to "buy the supplies" The check was sent through FedEx, which I found strange. It was also suspicious how there was no video call and she hired me on the spot.

But I noticed the company I applied for was **Edited for Community Guidelines** but on the check it said it was under **Edited for Community Guidelines** . I called **Edited for Community Guidelines**  and they said they were not affiliated with them and that the check was fraudulent.  When I called her out for it, she got defensive and refused to video call.

After this she stopped responding and removed her name to cover herself up. Please be careful! She asked for my name, address, and phone number, she could have attempting to steal my identity.

When receiving large checks always check to see if it's real before depositing it! Trust your gut instinct, if you don't feel right don't do it.

21 REPLIES 21
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Kayla, this is a well-known scam. 

Freelancers don't get benefits. 

Agreeing to receive the check (off the platform) will get you suspended from UW. 

The check is no good and you would be left holding the bag for $4k if you tried to deposit it.

Google Hangout interviews are a huge red flag.

Please, please, for your own safety, read all the information here in the forums and elsewhere on Upwork about scams before you really get hurt.

Thank you for letting me know 🙂
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Kayla,

Our team will review the client and take action on the violations of ToS.

In order to stay safe on Upwork, please make sure that you have a contract with a client through the Upwork platform directly. Please note that it is a violation of our ToS to accept payments off of the platform in any form, and that all payments are kept on Upwork.

I would suggest you browse this thread which has helpful tips and excellent resources for users just getting started on the platform and please also look this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams.

~Nina

Ok, thank you!

I was contacted by the same people please do something about this.

kat303
Community Member

Kayla, There have been so many posts from new freelancers warning others about scams. These posts do no good otherwise, you would have been aware and would not be posting on here.

Just as you would not assemble a product without first reading the instructions of what and how to do that, you do not come on here and just jump into looking for jobs without first reading about how Upwork works and the do's and don'ts of jobs.

Google hangouts = scams

accepting payment outside of this site = TOS violation and account suspension

giving personal information = scam and depending on what info, possible identity thieft

Buying the clients equipment = scam

client including company name = possible scam - waste of your time- Scammers do that to gain your trust and confidence.

If your account is not suspended, then do NOT look and do NOT submit proposals for any jobs here until you read both Upwork's TOS, and the posts here (search scams) so you can learn what to look out for.

"you do not come on here and just jump into looking for jobs without first reading about how Upwork works and the do's and don'ts of jobs."

wow, you are rude. who do you think you are? the reason she IS here is that she has doubts. 

camandri
Community Member

Thanks for sharing! I had a similar Hangouts interview today. The things that were said made me suspicious then I started to Google scams for the company. I did receive an email from Upwork that the company was removed for not complying with the terms and conditions. That made me even more suspicious.

doreenmulryan
Community Member

HI! I'm new to Upwork, did anyone else get approached by a company call **Edited for Community Guidelines** about a similar offer? It also included beneftis and hourly pay but the interveiw was on google hangouts.

Hi Doreen,

I would recommend to check out the Safety First section in this Thread and learn more about how you can protect yourself.
Unfortunately you can`t send me a PM with the job posting link so that I can investigate it. Please use the flagging option above the Submit Proposal button or send it to our customer support team directly. Our team will review the client and proper actions will be taken. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I dont have that option, the jop option seems closed and I can't flag the company. What can I do??

It happened the same as this thread mentioned.. google hangouts interview, claimed i was going to recieve a check to buy the office equipment, 'hired' me on the spot... hourly rate and payment thru direct deposit they said too.

This is the interview request I got

**Edited for community guidelines**

I was thrown off when the lady asked me to send my information to an email with clerk.com domain, I did a Whois search and it lead to the name **Edited for community guidelines**.Either he is a known scammer or a legit business man, im not sure

but what thru me off was that clerk.com site wasnt even created, it wasnt even a https site.. fishy fishy, i almost fell.. it sounded too good to be true 😞 

Hi Griselda

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'll share this with our team for further investigation!

Please know that actions have been taken against the client's account for violating the Upwork Terms of Service. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Doreen, as Mary and/or Kathy noted earlier, Freelancers don't receive benefits (generally); and interviewing via Google Hangouts most often correlates to a scam.   

This just happened to me. After several attempts at contacting the party, they eventually responded in a rather poorly typed email. This was odd, for a million-dollar company. We started a Google Hangout where they offered me pay and benefits. This was the first red flag, because I read in the Upwork guidlines that ALL payment was to be handled through Upwork and anything outside of that was a violation of policy. When I asked about it, I was told to ask no questions until the 'interview' was over. I began to get concerned and began to google search it and found this thread. It matched all the criteria and I withdrew my application. When I said this, the other party promptly blocked me and and was silent. Do I need to report this?

Hi Thomas,

If you see any job post that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can report that to Upwork by clicking on the flagging option found on each job post. This sends a direct message to our team allowing us to review and take appropriate actions. Please go through this thread that contain guides, tutorials, courses, videos, Help articles and Community discussions and this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

re: "We started a Google Hangout where they offered me pay and benefits"

Google Hangout = scammer

offer to pay benefits = scammer

re: "Do I need to report this?"

Nothing bad will happen to you if you do not report this.

You now have had a valuable experience and you are better prepared to quickly recognize these scammers when they pop up again.

As a practical matter, it does not take a lot of time to go to the job post and click on the "Flag as Inappropriate" link button in the top right-hand corner of the page. The more that freelancers report scammers, the better job Upwork can do in removing them from the platform. So if you DO report this, you are helping the Upwork community as a whole.

@Thomas M wrote:

This just happened to me. After several attempts at contacting the party, they eventually responded in a rather poorly typed email. This was odd, for a million-dollar company. We started a Google Hangout where they offered me pay and benefits. This was the first red flag, because I read in the Upwork guidlines that ALL payment was to be handled through Upwork and anything outside of that was a violation of policy. When I asked about it, I was told to ask no questions until the 'interview' was over. I began to get concerned and began to google search it and found this thread. It matched all the criteria and I withdrew my application. When I said this, the other party promptly blocked me and and was silent. Do I need to report this?

Of course you should report it in the way Preston described. You don't want any other newbie to fall for these schemes.

Thanks! You might have saved me from the same thing.

The bottom line is that accepting a check is a clear violation of the TOS and will get you bounced off the platform.  ALL payments must go through Upwork.  PERIOD.

niradebest
Community Member

is this **Edited for Community Guidelines**?
did you signed a contract with just 1 page?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths