🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Bidding
Page options
alma-pettenger
Community Member

Bidding

About how many bids should I submit before getting that first offer?
4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

You might get hired from your first bid (or "proposal").

Or it might take you more proposals. Perhaps 10. Maybe 50.

Some freelancers never get hired.

One answer will not apply to every freelancer. It depends on what you have to offer, and what clients are looking for.

I just wanted to have an idea about how many proposals to write. My profile was approved almost immediately and I was offered the seal of Raising Talent so I hope that’s a good sign regarding the skills I have to offer.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Alma P wrote:
I just wanted to have an idea about how many proposals to write. My profile was approved almost immediately and I was offered the seal of Raising Talent so I hope that’s a good sign regarding the skills I have to offer.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Hey Alma, it doesn't really work like that though.  I believe this is about sales and marketing and how good you present the unique value you provide.  You also have to find the right client, hopefully a good one, that likes the message you have. 

The amount of proposals you will have to send to make that work is indeterminate.

But, I think what helps is to find the right mindset for yourself about what you are doing.  You need to think about your potential clients and what they see in the proposals and profile you have written.  For example:

Are you in need of a Spanish Language Professional?

Chances are high that if they are on your profile they are so this is kind of a wasted statement.  If you then realize when reviewing profiles the client only initially sees the first two lines of your profile description.  I think you want to find something distinctive and strong about what you can do for a client that will entice them to open your profile.

The same is true of proposals, the first two lines might be all they ever see unless they are good ones.

It's marketing and sales and you need to find a strong but succinct message that resonates with exactly the kind of clients you want.

When it comes to sending proposals, always remember:

Clients don't care about you.

So don't talk about yourself in your proposal.

Proposals should be about what matters to the client. So in your proposal, you should talk about three things:

- the client

- the client's project

- how you are going to make the client's life better by working on her project

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths