Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Billing: Hourly Before Fixed-Price

Highlighted
Hurley W Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
1 of 3

Hi Upworkers!

New freelancer here. I'm in the running for a fixed-price project job. The client would like me to do a sample so he can narrow down his choices for the job, and he asked me to bill him at my hourly rate for the sample. I can't figure out how to do that.

Is it possible for me to bill him?

Or does he need to set up a seperate hourly project that I accept?

Again, I haven't taken any work on Upwork yet, so this feels really complicated to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 3

Great that this client understands there should be a cost for this exercise!  However, yes there will need to be a separate project setup for this purpose.  I know he isn't asking, but I would not do a "bill me as part of the project when you are selected" approach as of course you may not be selected.  In short he needs to create a project, of which he can set a fixed amount at your hourly (for however many hours) or an hourly contract and limit the number of hours in a given week.  All things the client has to do. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 3

Hi Hurley,

As Scott pointed out, the client will have to hire you for a contract in order to pay you (and they will need to pay you on Upwork.) You can share this help article with them with additional instructions for how to make you an offer.

~ Valeria
Untitled