🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Billing clients
Page options
joshfrompa
Community Member

Billing clients

I just began working for a client using milestones and submitted the first milestone to the client. How will I get paid? My payment method is set up so will I receive a confirmation when money is deposited into my bank account?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

James F wrote:

I just began working for a client using milestones and submitted the first milestone to the client. How will I get paid? My payment method is set up so will I receive a confirmation when money is deposited into my bank account?

That's not how it works. Were you properly hired, with a contract on your My Jobs Page?

Did you submit the work using the "Submit for payment" function on the contract?

Can you see the money under one of the tabs on your Reports Overview?

Have you read up on how you get paid?

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I missed a step or two. I submitted the
proposal and the client agreed to the proposal via email. What is the next
step to being properly hired?

re: "Thanks for the reply. Maybe I missed a step or two. I submitted the proposal and the client agreed to the proposal via email. What is the next step to being properly hired?"

Email doesn't count.

The client has a big green "Hire" button in their client-side interface.

They need to click that button.

That sends a "hire offer" to you.

You will receive a message within the Upwork interface, and probably an email message as well.

You can then click on "Accept."

Then you will see the contract listed on your jobs page.

Hi James,

The client needs to hire you.  If this is a fixed price amount, they set milestones with delivery dates.  Make sure not to start on any work until you have everything you need.  Make sure client funds the milestone.  I'm a marketing copywriter and if the sum is for example $150, I ask for $100 for the first milestone (first draft) and $50 for a second milestone (revision).  Submit your work via Upwork's "submit for payment" tool under "My Jobs".  If the client disappears 1) the majority of the payment will be paid and 2) you will be automatically paid after 14 days.  

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths