🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Blog Pricing
Page options
cbonsra
Community Member

Blog Pricing

Hello,

I'm just wondering what I should be charging for writing blog posts. I'm new to this so I really have no idea what's reasonable.

I consider myself a good writer, but not professional as I have never written for money. I have a bachelor's degree (psychology) and a master's degree (education) and most of my previous work experience is in teaching.

I recently accepted a job that paid $20 for 2500 words. It did require research. Not heavy research, but it was a topic I knew nothing about prior to research so it took a little while. Upon completion, I realized given the time and pay, I was technically working for less than minimum wage. The client said in their training videos that they are looking for someone who can knock these articles out in ninety minutes. I don't know if that's an obtainable expectation or not. Now they sent me another article for $30 for 3500 words.

I guess I'm thinking that maybe these low rates are needed to build my profile? Is this normal or should I be looking for higher paying work? When asked what I charge, it's hard to answer because I really don't know what's fair. In the offline world, even with a master's degree these days it's hard to find even a fifteen dollars an hour job sometimes, so I'm used to low pay. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
allergywriter
Community Member

What you charge is your business. But I wouldn't touch a 3500 word article for less than $350 unless I know the topic so well I could write it in my sleep. In that case I might charge $300.

Figure how many hours it will take you to do the job and multiply it by your hourly rate and that's the price you charge.

You mentioned training videos....are you writing to some formula? Looks like that would be harder than the inverted pyramid or pyramid style of writing.

Charge what the market will bear.

re: "...it's hard to answer because I really don't know what's fair."

???

That is not the basis for how freelancers set their rates.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths