cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both me and my client are new to Upwork. How do I get paid?

Highlighted
Jay S Member Since: Jan 13, 2017
1 of 11

Hello,

So I just joined Upwork less than a week ago, almost immediately found work (lucky break, I guess), and as I got closer to the deadline, I started thinking about how I would get paid for the job. So I set up my Paypal account with Upwork and waited 3 days for it to become active. It's been three days now, and the job is complete, but my client says she has two Upwork charges that need to show up before she can process a payment. She also says she has tried contacting the staff about it a few times, but no answer.

Another thing I noticed was that I was never actually officially "hired" for this job - it's still listed as an active candidacy, and people are still submitting proposals for the job despite me finishing it already. The client says something was preventing her from hiring me - any idea what was going on?

Thank you,

~Jay

Highlighted
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
2 of 11

Hi Jay, you should not work before being hired, because if your client doesn't pay you, there's nothing you can do. Is your client "payment verified"?

Payment not verified + no offer sent + I'm a newbie = danger

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 11

I can't imagine what is preventing the client from hiring you, but I would imagine that they might be waiting for payment verification. If you have not sent your work to the client yet, do not do so until her payment method is verified and escrow has been funded - was this a flat rate or an hourly job? If hourly, did you track your hours?

In the meantime, I suggest you read up on how to work on Upwork before bidding on any more jobs:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Highlighted
4 of 11

Yes, she is waiting for payment verification, as she is also new to Upwork. And it was flat rate. I had to submit my work to her upon completion, as her deadline was very short and I had just barely made it in time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 11

@Jay S wrote:

Yes, she is waiting for payment verification, as she is also new to Upwork. And it was flat rate. I had to submit my work to her upon completion, as her deadline was very short and I had just barely made it in time.

Jay, I hope I'm wrong, but now that this client has her work completed and delivered to them, what would make her want to pay you? I think you'll be waiting for this clients payment verification for a very long time.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but that's a line that scammers use. Urgent, Need right away. Rush job. Send to me now and I will pay you when I get it.

In addition to that, 1. you haven't even been hired.. 2. escrow wasn't funded and 3 the clients account is not verified. That's like 3 strikes against you and you're out.

Before jumping in please take the time to read how this site works, what to do, what to look out for and the do's and don'ts of working on a job. Scammers prey on new freelancers such as yourself.

It's also SUPER easy for a client to hire someone, account verification and escrow funded doesn't figure in with hiring. All a client needs to do is to give one click on the big HIRE button of the freelancer they want. Simple, easy and quick.

Highlighted
6 of 11

Well, I did some research on the studio, and they appear to be trustworthy. I know this looks bad, and now that I know how getting a gig works here I won't make this mistake again, but I don't have any reason to suspect that this woman is a scammer. She worked together with me and maintained correspondence throughout the entirety of the project.

Anyway, this topic is getting a bit off base. My question(s) are, what are the two "Upwork charges" she's referring to, and how can I get a staff member to resolve this issue so I can get paid?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 11

@Jay S wrote:

Anyway, this topic is getting a bit off base. My question(s) are, what are the two "Upwork charges" she's referring to, and how can I get a staff member to resolve this issue so I can get paid?

Upwork sends 2 small charges to your credit card/checking account. The charges are something like 12 cents and 10 cents  When you see these 2 charges on your credit/checking account, you'll come back here and verify those charges by typing in the 2 amounts. That's done so Upwork can see that a client has an active credit card/checking account and transactions can be made between the account and Upwork. I think a credit card amount goes faster. Usually a checking account takes a few business days.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 11

Jay - please understand that you did not have to give the client anything without the promise of being paid for your work. As a freelancer this is something you should know.

Perhaps this will turn out well and she didn't set out to scam you. However, if this does turn out to burn you, I would inform the client that because she did not pay for the work, it belongs to you and you have every right to use it in your portfolio ... so you'll at least get something out of this job.

ETA: I've flagged your post ... hopefully a mod will come along soon to help you out.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 11

Hi Jay,

Your client needs to verify her credit card and hire you before she's able to pay you. It looks like she's already been charged the two small verification amounts and should be able to find them in her bank statement and complete the verification. 

We'll have an agent reach out to her and offer assistance with the verification process.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 11

Because the original poster worked without actually having a contract, it is totally up to the client to decide whether or not to pay that freelancer anything.

The freelancer now has no say in the matter, and no recourse.

If the client decides to pay him, that is nice of her. If she decides to NOT pay him, that is her choice.

If the freelancer complains to Upwork, there is nothing they can do to get him any payment.

The freelancer said he did "research" about the company ("studio") that suggested they are trustworthy. What does that even mean? Does that mean the company has a nice website? Does that mean there is a magical list of companies which always, reliably pay freelancers? If there was such a list, would not a scammer naturally copy a name from that list and feed it to their marks?

I don't need to do "research" about companies to tell me that they'll pay me. Here is how I know: They have actually hired me with a contract and they are payment verified.

I really do hope that things go well for the original poster. I hope that he gets paid the money that is owed to him. But for anybody out there watching: this is now how to do things. It is the very essence of a "con artist" to gain the CONfidence and trust of their mark. That's where the word "con" comes from.