Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand-new freelance writer requesting profile review

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
Brandy H Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
1 of 21
Would anyone mind reviewing my profile and portfolio ? Would like to know how I come across.
csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 21

Your most valuable Upwork real estate is the first two lines of your profile overview.  I would suggest changing yours to clearly state what you can do for your clients.  With all due respect, GPA isn't important, nor is your major.  

Second, you need to identify a single niche you wish to highlight, and stay focused on that.  Currently, your profile offers way too many services.  If you want to write, I would stick with that only.  I think your profile is fine, but you should be the sole owner of the content.

Finally, your rate is entirely too low.  You are setting yourself up for scam invites and, worse, you will have a hard time raising your rates in the future because clients will see that you were willing to work for pennies.  Take a look at other writer profiles on the site, to get an idea of how they sell themselves.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 21

$3/hour in the USA "passionate" writer. Oh boy.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 21

@Jennifer M wrote:

I *hope* that's a typo and she intended $30/hour. And "passion" twice in one paragraph is a bit over the top. But use of Oxford comma is a nice touch, I suppose. Maybe there shouldn't be 3 occurrences of "I have" plus an "I would" unless it's purposeful repetition.

Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 21

@John K wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

I *hope* that's a typo and she intended $30/hour. And "passion" twice in one paragraph is a bit over the top. But use of Oxford comma is a nice touch, I suppose. Maybe there shouldn't be 3 occurences of "I have" plus an "I would" unless it's purposeful repetition.

Yeah, well, one must not forget that passion trumps all (no pun intended) - including the Oxford comma. One must not underestimate the "passionate writer"  -  all human contact (including partners, children, friends, relatives), must be  sacrificed to the immortal 'word'. And if the holy message has to be put across at $3.00 per hour, who are we  to discourage? Smiley Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 21

Let's see how passionate she is when joe blow farmer doesn't want to pay her $5 for an article unless she revises it 20 times into 10 new articles so he can scam her into working for 3 cents an hour.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 21

@Jennifer M wrote:

Let's see how passionate she is when joe blow farmer doesn't want to pay her $5 for an article unless she revises it 20 times into 10 new articles so he can scam her into working for 3 cents an hour.

Exactly! Smiley Happy

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
8 of 21

I don't completely understand the farmer references. I have found it nearly impossible to find any information online on the subject without someone trying to sell me a webinar or e-book. The Upwork tutorial suggests starting as low as possible in order to gain experience. What is a better rate for absolutely no relative experience or references?

lysis10
Community Guru
9 of 21

A farmer is basically someone who sells the client at one rate and then outsources the content to another low priced writer. It's usually an ESL, and then the client gets upset because he thought he bough tinto the work from the person he was talking to.

At your rate, you're perfect for the farmers. They'll love you. Get ready to write lots about colonics, acai berries, belly fat, amazon reviews, diet fads, product descriptions, and anything related to clickbank.

brandyhunter
Ace Contributor
10 of 21

$30 an hour. Wow. I am really intimidated by such a prospect. I have a hard time valuing anyone's writing at that rate, especially my own. To be honest with you, I am purely seeking an opportunity to find my own voice and determine if I'm the right kind of person for this type of work. $30 an hour sounds a little unrealistic for someone without any flippin idea what they're doing.  All I know is that I want to make money by writing non-fiction without getting roped into an essay mill. Is academic writing not considered a niche in freelancing? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS