cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new

Highlighted
Victoria S Member Since: Apr 4, 2017
1 of 7

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this community.  I have a strong resume with 26 years of experience.  I sent out about 13 proposals and have not gotten a single bit of feedback.  This may be perfectly normal but I also may be doing something that turns potential employers away.  I opted for the upgraded membership.  Can someone give me some advice?  Thanks so much!

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
2 of 7

Welcome Victoria!  I just very quickly checked your Profile and definitely suggest you hide your Below Average test result.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 7

Victoria, I also suggest that you take some tests relating to Finance and only show results which are Above Average or better.  I'm sure others will come along with additional suggestions for you.  Best of luck to you! Woman Happy

4 of 7

Thank you so much!  I will definitely make the changes!

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 7

Focus your profile on the specific skills you have which you now have at the end of the profile.  Lose the part about retirement.  Hide the test score.  Take some tests relevant to accounting (if there are any).

Initially, the client only sees the first couple of lines in your profile so make those count.  Lose the "Vice President" as I doubt any client will search for that term.

Good luck and don't give up.  Be sure you read all the information available on how Upwork works, on common scams, and on how to write a good profile.  Be very discerning about what you apply for.  It will come...

6 of 7

HUGE thank you!!!!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

Victoria:

I think you have done some very good things with your profile and portfolio.

Your biggest problem right now is that you have no work history.

I think you should focus on getting at least few jobs, even if they're not 100% at the level of work you would like to do on a regular basis. So bid on some fixed-price jobs that you know you can knock out of the park, as they will not be associated with an hourly rate. That means you can complete and get great feedback on a few jobs that you might be over-qualified for. But the reviews and established work history will help in getting even more significant jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS