cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Brick Wall!

Glenn F Member Since: Dec 13, 2016
1 of 12

What? "Preferred Qualities" is preventing me from submitting proposals. Owned an ad agency in my 37 year career. What is the game being played here on Upwork.?

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 12

Is English your first language? If so, you should change your "Languages" section on your profile to "Native or Bilingual". That may be giving you a flag.

Otherwise, even if you get a message telling you that you don't meet all the client preferences, you can still submit your proposal and the client will receive it.

I'm just assuming that those are the messages you're seeing.  If it is something different, please clarify so that better information can be shared with you.

3 of 12

Yes English is my first language.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Glenn,

Please note that you can still submit a proposal even though you don't meet all the preferences the client selected for the job.

On a different note, please make sure the client you're currently working with awards you the job before you deliver any more work, so you can receive payment for the work you provided so far. Since you're a new user, please review the resources we compiled here in order to familiarize yourself with Upwork and how the platform works.

Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance.

5 of 12

I dis my first job yesterday. A two-sided flyer. Client submitted .AI (Illustrator) file. All wrong color space for printing -- yadda yaddda. I dazzled the client. And I sent the 29.8 MB working PDF to him as a proof.... If I get ripped off I will learn not to do that again. Cost me throughout my life leaning important lessons. I hope that does not happen. I would like to continue to work with the client. I like the work. It's perfectly aligned of what I do.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 12

Glenn:

If you follow the rules and use use common sense, it is unlikely that you will get ripped off.

I like your positive attitude, and your willingness to learn from your mistakes (if you make any). If you do make a mistake, come here and discuss it, and we'll help you out. I'm sure you won't make the same mistake twice.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 12

Hi Glenn,

Please, make sure the client sends you an offer through Upwork and once you accept it you see a contract under your My Jobs tab. Otherwise the client won't be able to pay you for your work. Please, see Vladimir's comment earlier on this thread.

In order to change your language settings as Christy suggested, go to Find Work > Profile and hover your mouse over the language. You'll see a pencil icon. Click on it and change your English level.

~ Valeria
Untitled
8 of 12

I have some screenshots. Seems this client contacted me through messages. We conversed some. Then he sent me a file to work on. And a powerpoint file with his notes of changes and images he wanted to add to his flyer. I worked on it colelctively about 3 hours. I sent a PROOF to him. There was no contractural talk. And I could not see where I could accept the submitted work or where he accepted my terms ie. hourly wage. Also his payment method has not been veriified. Hmmm. . . learning fast. Please see the screenshots. . . I had to piece two screenshots because only one could be uploaded.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 12

Glenn,

I had to remove your screenshot as it showed private information and communication.

The client was interviewing you. However, in order to officially hire and pay you, they need to make you an offer.  

Please, check this help article and feel free to share it with the client to help them understand what the next step is. Do not submit any work before you accept an offer and have an active contract under My Jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
10 of 12

Hello again. I just sent the client this message. I would rather stop the process and cut my losses now.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS