🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Buyer wasting freelancers time
Page options
shepards
Community Member

Buyer wasting freelancers time

Just venting a bit but still wondering about other experience and if there is any recourse for this rudeness.

I've been invited by buyer for interview. I accepted. Almost a week later with messages sent and still no response from buyer. 

Maybe the buyer needs to compensate the freelancer for the time they end up wasting. 

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

Scott, have you looked at the Activity on this job section of the job listing? If it has large numbers for Interviewing or Invites sent, then maybe the client hasn't gotten around to you yet.

That was my rationalization mostly. This recent invite doesn't apply because it's a handful of invites only. I know the buyer has been online. It takes 10 seconds to write a note acknowleging and stating they aren't interested my proposal.

yitwail
Community Member

Scott S wrote:

That was my rationalization mostly. This recent invite doesn't apply because it's a handful of invites only. I know the buyer has been online. It takes 10 seconds to write a note acknowleging and stating they aren't interested my proposal.

Can't disagree with that. If it's any consolation, they're probably not a good client to work with, anyway.

Scott S wrote:

You cannot know how many invites may have been archived, or how busy a client is. It's fine to follow up once, maybe twice, so that it's not "wasting" your time. After that it's best to just forget about it. It's nice when clients let you know what's going on, but most times they don't ... for whatever reasons.

astepanov83
Community Member

Once I had an invitation to a job and a contract quickly after the interview. Then the client disappeared for a week or so. He was online very often, but wrote me not a single word. I asked a ton of questions, but got no reply. A week later he showed up and asked how was everything going. The contract was a pure waste of time, but luckily for me, I was paid every hour I wasted 🙂

Regarding your situation, I usually withdraw my proposal, or end an interview if a client does not show up for a couple of days (excluding weekends). Then I forget him. Silence more likely means the client has no interested (in a job or in a freelancer). If there was a reason for a delay, the client can send an invitation again.

Many clients on Upwork have absolutely no manners, I'm afraid. I often wonder if they're that rude in real life. Smiley Sad

It happens quite often - just ignore. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they can even be returning clients. I have one waiting in the wings right now. He may or may not materialize. Best to think of the job - very often the good manners follow ...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths