🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can I Get My Connects Back If My Proposal Fai...
Page options
mollita
Community Member

Can I Get My Connects Back If My Proposal Fails?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to upwork and learning about Connects. I got 20 connects and used some of them to apply some projects. I've read that

"If a project is canceled by the client without making a hire, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned to you for reuse. This does not apply to expired job posts."

The biggest question is : What if the client doesn't choose me? What if I fail to get the job? Will I get my connects back?

I've paid 4 connects for each jobs I applied, it's like 20% of my beginning points in this platform.

How can I feel the benefit of this platform if I lose all connects without getting any job?

(^_^")?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

No, you will not get your connects back if your proposal fails.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wieke, 

I'm sorry to learn that this has been an inconvenience for you.  Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
michael_skaggs
Community Member

The two instances listed on that page are the only time connects will be returned.

Cancelling the contract without hiring anyone at all means you get those connects back.

Upwork removing the job post for a TOS violation means you get those conencts back.

Literally every other circumstance results in not getting connects back. If they don't hire anyone, but they don't close the contract, no connects. If they don't hire you, no connects. If they do hire you, no connects.

It's best to think of connects like postage stamps. Some pieces of mail cost more to send off than others. If you mail a resume to a potential client/employer, you don't get those stamps back, and you just figure them into your cost of doing business. Same thing with connects.

petra_r
Community Member

Wieke M wrote:

How can I feel the benefit of this platform if I lose all connects without getting any job?

By buying connects like everyone else.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths