🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can I change my proposed fixed rate after i h...
Page options
ani_atoyan
Community Member

Can I change my proposed fixed rate after i have sent a proposal?

Dear all,
I'm considering to submit a proposal on a job posting which requires creating a real estate lease agreement. The job description is very brief and the payment type is fixed price (e.g. $50).
The problem is that the lease agreement must be certified by a public notary and get a state registration at the Cadastre. This requires state fees which may range according to the type of real estate (this is not specified in the job description). And the minimum amount is like $60.
I was thinking if it is possible to raise my proposed rate ($50) after I have submitted the proposal? Because I wouldn't like to pay the state fees from my own funds. The problem is that I cannot get any details from the client before submitting the proposal so that I could offer him/her my final rate which would also include the state fees.
What would you advice for such situations?
Thanks a lot.
Ani

7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis
Community Member

Ani A wrote:

Dear all,
I'm considering to submit a proposal on a job posting which requires creating a real estate lease agreement. The job description is very brief and the payment type is fixed price (e.g. $50).
The problem is that the lease agreement must be certified by a public notary and get a state registration at the Cadastre. This requires state fees which may range according to the type of real estate (this is not specified in the job description). And the minimum amount is like $60.
I was thinking if it is possible to raise my proposed rate ($50) after I have submitted the proposal? Because I wouldn't like to pay the state fees from my own funds. The problem is that I cannot get any details from the client before submitting the proposal so that I could offer him/her my final rate which would also include the state fees.
What would you advice for such situations?
Thanks a lot.
Ani

Ani,

I  don't think you should even consider this job. I don't know where this client is based, but I can tell you that in France, cadastre fees can be in the hundreds of euros. If you do send a proposal, you must  put all these questions to the client and do not accept any contract before you have every i and t crossed and dotted and know that you will not be out of pocket at all.   

As to $50 or $60 for drawing up this sort of contract - no, no and no!! You could charge this for an easy 200-word translation.  The sort of work you describe is something  for which a lawyer would get paid $$$ per hour. 

My advice is to keep looking. 

sk-andaleeb
Community Member

Hi, Ani, 

Yes, you can change the terms of the contract after submitting a proposal. However, in your case, it might not be a good solution. 

Click on your proposal, scroll down the page and you'll see two buttons, "withdraw proposal " and "change terms". 

Thanks Tanzeel,
Can i ask you to clarify why do you think it might not be a good solution. What are the risks?

Tanzeel Z wrote:

Hi, Ani, 

Yes, you can change the terms of the contract after submitting a proposal. However, in your case, it might not be a good solution. 

Click on your proposal, scroll down the page and you'll see two buttons, "withdraw proposal " and "change terms". 

Tanzeel, of course the OP can change the terms of a contract. However to change it to a higher amount will not endear her to a client. And from what the OP has said, there are so many unanswered questions to the job she is applying for, that the amount in question actually no longer has a bearing on the amount of work and possible personal expense she would have to bear. 

In any case, the question is academic, because if it comes to an interview, the final agreement on price would be concluded then. 

Nichola, what if I propose quite a high rate (considering all the possible expenses), and explain in the cover letter that the rate is negotiable depending the details of the work? And then after the interview, i decrease the rate? I guess it would bear low risk for me.

Ani A wrote:
Nichola, what if I propose quite a high rate (considering all the possible expenses), and explain in the cover letter that the rate is negotiable depending the details of the work? And then after the interview, i decrease the rate? I guess it would bear low risk for me.

Ani,

This is only my perspective on it. But if I send in a proposal on a job that is not absolutely clear but that looks interesting, I write a short and appropriate proposal giving skillsets relevant to that job. I also ask the client for more details. If I get invited, I state my rates and tell the client they are dependent on further clarification. If a client prevaricates in any way on the details, or says that he/she is working to a minimum budget, then I pass. 

Only you can decide how flexible you will be with your rates, but in my opinion, you would be making a mistake to meet a very low budget in order to get that first job - particularly in the legal field. Bottom feeders tend to be bottom markers, so I would tread very carefully on this one. Whether you stick to your rate or lower it will have nothing to do with the eventual outcome. It is not a question of risking money; you risk a whole lot more if there is an unsatisfactory outcome to the job. 

That said, you have nothing to lose by accepting an interview, just don't agree to a contract if you feel you might be working in the dark, or incurring expenses that you may not get reimbursed for.

ETA: I forgot to add only accept a contract if it is hourly with the Upwork tracker enabled or as a fixed price contract  with the entire amount agreed to paid into escrow before you start work.       

Thank you very much, Nichola. Your advice was very helpful! 🙂
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths