🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can I message client to ask why he canceled c...
Page options
toni_schwartz
Community Member

Can I message client to ask why he canceled contract?

Hello all,

I received a project with a new client and completed it quickly. I asked detailed questions about the project and he gave clear instructions. He had a fixed-price project, and from my understanding he would eventually need about 10 articles. I completed the work following his instructions as best as I could, but in the end he canceled the contract. He gave me 5 stars but no further feedback. 

I would like to know why he canceled it. Would it be too forward to message him and ask why he canceled the contract? Or would that be considered harrassment? I just want to know so I can improve my writing for future similar situations. Or just accept that he didn't like what I wrote and move on?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unless the client actually goes to the trouble of BLOCKING you, then yes, you are PHYSICALLY ABLE to message a client and ask why she cancelled a contract.

But few of us who are active freelancers would do something like that. I would classify this as pestering the client unnecessarily.

If a client wants my services, she definitely knows where to find me, and she certainly knows how to not cancel a contract and continue working with me. If a client cancels a contract, it means she doesn't want to work with me any more. It wasn't an accident.

If she hasn't said anything about why or what is going on, she is probably trying to be nice and spare my feelings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jcullinan
Community Member

@Toni S wrote:

Hello all,

I received a project with a new client and completed it quickly. I asked detailed questions about the project and he gave clear instructions. He had a fixed-price project, and from my understanding he would eventually need about 10 articles. I completed the work following his instructions as best as I could, but in the end he canceled the contract. He gave me 5 stars but no further feedback. 

I would like to know why he canceled it. Would it be too forward to message him and ask why he canceled the contract? Or would that be considered harrassment? I just want to know so I can improve my writing for future similar situations. Or just accept that he didn't like what I wrote and move on?

You can ask, but honestly, why waste the time? Move on to the next project, and look for better clients.

Unless the client actually goes to the trouble of BLOCKING you, then yes, you are PHYSICALLY ABLE to message a client and ask why she cancelled a contract.

But few of us who are active freelancers would do something like that. I would classify this as pestering the client unnecessarily.

If a client wants my services, she definitely knows where to find me, and she certainly knows how to not cancel a contract and continue working with me. If a client cancels a contract, it means she doesn't want to work with me any more. It wasn't an accident.

If she hasn't said anything about why or what is going on, she is probably trying to be nice and spare my feelings.

Thank you guys for your responses. I guess I'm just puzzled that he canceled the contract even though he gave me 5 stars. Perhaps he was satisfied enough with my work but not enough to continue working with me.

Who knows. Maybe he ran out of money. Maybe his goldfish died. You received 5 stars. That is never a reason to pester somebody. He is NOT expecting to hear from you at this point.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths