🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Can I request access to google drive/docs...
Page options
appdevexpert
Community Member

Can I request access to google drive/docs before contract started?

Hi,

I have learned that sharing personal information before the contract started is prohibited. Also, any file or link that contains contact information is also prohibited. I have searched a lot on a topic I did not find any satisfactory and clear answer for my case. 

My Case:

I have sent the proposal, and the client replied when he shared the project details (i am not hired yet, it's just a discussion), he shares a Figma link and a google docs link that is restricted. When I ask him if the file is restricted he says to request the access, So it's a normal case if I request the access he will get my email address. So I simply asked him to send the screenshot, I think he is disappointed anyway, I don't want to violate the rules, I think others just simply requested access as he is not answering my questions anymore and not sending the screenshots I am assuming that I am the first one who is saying that its prohibited, He is hiring maybe 7 guy in that project I am not sure. 

So what I want to know is is that permitted to request access to a file before the contract started? (Requesting access will share the email with the file owner).

Have a look on chat,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Md,

Thank you for following up. Yes, you can request access to Google Drive and documents. Please remember that all communications must still take place on the Upwork platform.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NikolaS

Hi Md,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that there are two cases when users may share their personal contact information before a contract begins.

• If users must share or collect information for legal purposes prior to a contract starting that includes contact information, such as a non-disclosure agreement or proof of a business license
  • If users must provide their email address to gain access to a system for the purposes of scoping a project, such as a code repository or ad analytics account

In these cases, contact information is permitted to be shared, but all communication must still take place on Upwork. You can find more information in this help article. Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

So by your bullet point two, in my case, it's permitted to request access right? That content is just for analysis of the project budget by reviewing the content. I just need the direct answer, in this case (my case) permitted? as my case is not " such as a code repository or ad analytics account" matched this criteria, its just an excel file from which I need to see the documents that describe the project details. 

Its important because i am going to reject this proposal if its not permitted, I already faced this type of issue earlier and just skipped, I just want to know about this clearly, because i don't want to lose the job i am just getting.

Hi Md,

Thank you for following up. Yes, you can request access to Google Drive and documents. Please remember that all communications must still take place on the Upwork platform.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you so much, That's what I wanted to learn from you.

c0baa92a
Community Member

Hello Md. M

I am new to Upwork and researching topics as to your concern.  I would suggest that you ask the client to put the file in the dropbox.

Dropbox

Dropbox is integrated directly with Upwork Messages. To access your Dropbox files, select the attachment symbol to the right of the message box and select Share via Dropbox. From here, you will be able to sign into your Dropbox account and select the files you wish to share.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths