🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can I withdraw money in USD?
Page options
robertbo
Community Member

Can I withdraw money in USD?

Hi all

I earned few bucks here on Upwork 

i am based in Europe but want the money to be released in the original currency (USD) 

the only option I can find (in addition to paypal & transfer to us bank) is the withdrawal to EUR bank account. 

If I add USD nominated bank account (under EUR withdrawal option) will Upwork first convert the USD amount into EUR and then my bank will convert it once again from EUR into USD? 

How to avoid it?

9 REPLIES 9
tta192
Community Member

You CAN withdraw directly in USD, via wire transfer. But it will cost around 30 USD if you live outside US.

robertbo
Community Member

i am aware of this but trying to find a solution 

tta192
Community Member

Wire transfer does not convert to EUR and then back to USD. And it's different than direct transfer to US bank account.

You can receive USD directly to your USD account in Europe, and you only pay a flat fee of 30 USD.

robertbo
Community Member

on what basis does upwork charge 30 usd if i have EU-based USD-denominated bank account? 

on upwork i have earned monies in USD

they transfer this to EUR denominated account so they obviously exchange USD into EUR

Robert,

If you use Direct to Local Bank transfer to withdraw your funds, the conversion is done before the money is sent to your bank account in your local currency. 

If you use Wire Transfer, the money is sent to your account in the US dollars but may be converted to the local currency by your bank is the account is in the local currency. 

You can find information about the fees here for Wire Transfer and here for Direct to Local Bank transfer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Robert,

You can look into using Wire Transfer if you want to withdraw your Upwork earnings to your bank account in US dollars.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Robert:

Keep in mind that no matter where in the world you live, Upwork allows you to withdraw money in USD for free (paying no fees) to a U.S. bank account.

Some people say it is pretty difficult for a non-U.S. resident to set up a U.S. bank account. I have also seen comments by people who think it is pretty easy to do so. I don't really know for sure how difficult it is. But I do know that there are many Upwork users who don't live in the United States, but who withdraw their funds to U.S. bank accounts.

Whether or not this is a solution that will work for you, I can't say. But it's something to keep in mind.

Can I withdraw directly to my virtual US domiciliary account at no charge despite not loving in the US?

Hi Asueze,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths