Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I work hourly without Upwork app ?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Noureldin Y Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
1 of 9

Can I work hourly without The Track time app?

Marvelous.
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

You can enter in your time manually but it won't be protected under Upwork.  The tracker is recommended to ensure payment.  

Community Leader
3 of 9

so if I don't trust that app I must do fixed projects only?

Marvelous.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

You can use manual time if the client allows it. Some clients don't, although most *do*.

But if the client doesn't want to pay you, all they have to do is dispute and you auto-lose. If the payment doesn't go through, you don't get the money either.

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
5 of 9

Some clients don't trust YOU (freelancer) so they mandate you use the app.  If you're uncomfortable using the app and don't want to do manual tracking, then yes opt for fixed-price projects.  

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
6 of 9

Noureldin Y wrote:

It is important to think about this, and what it means.  To me if a client were to ask me not to track time using the app this would be a bad sign.  My question would be why?  They would have to have a very good reason and I am not sure I can think of one.

So next, why do you not want to use it?  Some people consider it invasive or it doesn't work with the kind of thing they are doing but you are forgoing all protections afforded by working with Upwork by not using it.  Personally I do all my clients work inside of their own Virtual Machine so the app shows there and only records the work I am doing.  It does a really good job of keeping track of activity so I have found that I don't even need to shut it off if I walk off to go do something.

With a new client...I would always use it.  Trust is built not assumed.

Community Leader
7 of 9

Mark F wrote:

Noureldin Y wrote:

So next, why do you not want to use it?  .

yeah, my main issue is when I asked upwork through phone about that app for the first time, I asked how does it work and report what I do to the clients beside the screenshots does it include "KEYLOGGER" so it may record any password I write and send it to the client inside the report?

She said yes, then she said no, it just counts how many times you clicked the keyboard without saving the characters, so it took my confidence down a little bit, even if I was speaking fast or she heard wrong, why do you say yes without being sure what you've heard? or did you hear it clearly and said that then denied it ? that's my issue with the tracking app I called for assistance to download it for linux then that happened so I removed the idea of using it completely like 10 days ago or more, but now I see many jobs requires 1 hour of work at least so I've to take a step regarding that to be to apply.

does the manual time being counted in hourly counter?

Marvelous.
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 9

Hi Noureldin,

The ''Frequently Asked Questions'' section of the help article might address all of your concerns regarding what the app does/does not record/upload when you log time with it.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Leader
9 of 9

Thanks for sharing.

Marvelous.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS