Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Client pay Freelancers Directly?

Highlighted
Alma S Member Since: Jan 13, 2017
1 of 5

Hi there!

I am new to Upwork and I am chatting on Google Hangout with a "client". Everything he's said sounds fishy and I don't believe this is for real but, he is also saying they will pay me by check or direct deposit directly (not through Upwork). Do I need to report this "client"? I think is a SCAM, he says he's a recruiter from a company in India, I checked the website and their social media pages but, everything he's told me sounds like this is NOT for real. Need to know if I have to report him, I don't think this kind of behavior is allowed on Upwork. Please let me know.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

@Alma S wrote:

Hi there!

I am new to Upwork and I am chatting on Google Hangout with a "client". Everything he's said sounds fishy and I don't believe this is for real but, he is also saying they will pay me by check or direct deposit directly (not through Upwork). Do I need to report this "client"? I think is a SCAM, he says he's a recruiter from a company in India, I checked the website and their social media pages but, everything he's told me sounds like this is NOT for real. Need to know if I have to report him, I don't think this kind of behavior is allowed on Upwork. Please let me know.

It is definitely a scam. Report it right away.  It is against ToS to accept payment or offer payment off platform. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Alma,

I see you have already withdrawn your proposal and it's a wise decision. It's against Upwork ToS to offer or accept payments outside of the platform. I'll follow up with the team and make sure the client's account is reviewed as soon as possible.

Check out this post and especially Safety First! section to learn more about how to recognize warning flags in job posts and when interviewing with clients.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 5

Never check on the name of the company.  It's the easiest thing in the world for a spammer to use the name of a real company and even the name(s) of the real employees.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

re: "he says he's a recruiter from a company... I checked the website and their social media pages"

That is the wrong thing to do. That is how people get scammed.

Do not check company's web pages or their social media pages.