🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can secondary school students join Upwork?
Page options
shadowpea
Community Member

Can secondary school students join Upwork?

I am a secondary school student who wants to be a freelancer, but the application form is asking for my post-secondary education and work history. I am currently a fiction writer who writes from home. Can I still apply?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From what you describe: working for a client to gain experience is an internship. That's not freelancing. Freelancing is providing a professional service in exchange for money. Freelancers provide a professional service and are not usually still in training. 

My advice would be to Google: Writing groups online

Also, ask around local newspaper or magazine offices and offer to intern. However, that would be nonfiction, not fiction. There are not many opportunities to be hired as a fiction writer apart from as a ghostwriter. Fiction writers usually write a book and either send it off to publishers or self-publish it themselves online. You are living in the era of Google, have a good browse and find a group that can support you in your quest.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Kimberly:

Upwork has no specific requirements with regards to a potential freelancer's current educational situation or educational history.

Currently Upwork has many freelancers, and it has more than are necessary in many categories. So most freelancers are likely to find themselves not getting approved.

All freelancers must be at least 18 years of age or order.

For most people, fiction writing is an avocation. You do not need an Upwork account in order to write fiction from home. There are many ways to do that.

Can you still apply?

Yes.

Is this likely to be a way that you will earn money?

No.

I wanted to join Upwork because I need some more experience before I'm ready to publish anything. If I'm unlikely to be approved, is there any freelancing opportunities that are easier for me to be approved by?

Hi Kimberly, 

I gather you are under 18, so this working option is out for now, but for general advice, here goes:

As someone that works with writers every single day, it's not clear to me what you want to freelance as. What service do you want to provide? (as a freelancer) Or, do you want to hire someone to look over your writing? (as a client)

On Upwork:

Writers hire editors to edit their work.

Companies hire writers to produce writing for them, called copy. 

Occasionally, people hire ghostwriters, to write their fiction book for them. This is likely want you want to be hired to do. However, this is rare, and usually a good portfolio is needed to battle against the thousands of writers here on Upwork. 

If you just want to write and get feedback on your writing, there are many writers groups all over the internet, including beta readers who will read your work and give you feedback. 

Best wishes,

Louisa 

Do you know of any freelancing opportunities where I can work for the client to gain experience? Or, do you know of any online writers groups where I can get my work reviewed and collaborate with other writers? 

Thank you

re: "Do you know of any freelancing opportunities where I can work for the client to gain experience?"

Clients come to Upwork in order to get work done that they do not want to do themselves, or that they do not know how to do themselves.

Clients do not post jobs on Upwork in order to provide an opportunity for young people such as yourself to gain experience.

Many clients are very open to the idea of hiring new freelancers. But they still expect those freelancers to have some skill.

As a teenager, if you want to gain work experience, the best place to look is in your local non-online community.

From what you describe: working for a client to gain experience is an internship. That's not freelancing. Freelancing is providing a professional service in exchange for money. Freelancers provide a professional service and are not usually still in training. 

My advice would be to Google: Writing groups online

Also, ask around local newspaper or magazine offices and offer to intern. However, that would be nonfiction, not fiction. There are not many opportunities to be hired as a fiction writer apart from as a ghostwriter. Fiction writers usually write a book and either send it off to publishers or self-publish it themselves online. You are living in the era of Google, have a good browse and find a group that can support you in your quest.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. 

f6d4d51b
Community Member

Hello yes I am also secondry school student this is best freelance web so students if you want to do freelancing so you can do in upwork did I tell right?🥰

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths