🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Can someone help me with my client
Page options
arndominic
Community Member

Can someone help me with my client

Good day everyone! I'm new to upwork. I have a client asked me to 3d animate and rigged his 16 character models. So we have a deal that it will be 30$ per character models as seen in my proposal. After showing him my work per character animation done as "gif", I ask him kindly if I will submit the work on the contract, the client wants me to animate his another character again without a second milestone he said "no rush". After 2 weeks of sending some gifs to show that it's done and I let him check for free revisions, I finally finished to animate and rig his 16 character models. The client promised me a 480$ for all the work already done, but only 30$ is on the milestone. I ask him kindly how our contract works, but he replies too little, like "ok" "sure" "great". Now recently he wants me to animate another character but I stopped because of the payment assurance. Can I still get the promised 480$ payment. I have evidence in our messages that I'm continuously working on his project.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hardorff
Community Member

If you're on a fixed-price contract, you should NEVER start working on it, if ALL of the money isn't in escrow.
As the situation is now, your client could get away with only paying you $30 (which are the amount which is in escrow).
Before you start working on future contracts, please read about fixed-price protection.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
hardorff
Community Member

If you're on a fixed-price contract, you should NEVER start working on it, if ALL of the money isn't in escrow.
As the situation is now, your client could get away with only paying you $30 (which are the amount which is in escrow).
Before you start working on future contracts, please read about fixed-price protection.

This is the last day to release the 30$ on escrow sir, seems like the contract is on hold "again" and not by accident because it's been hold 2x, the first one he fix it right away and now the contract is on hold for the last day to release the 30$. Should I just wait sir? thanks

kat303
Community Member

Can I still get the promised 480$ payment. I have evidence in our messages that I'm continuously working on his project.

Only if the client feels like depositing those funds into escrow. He's scamming you and will keep scamming you since you keep giving him the work without payment. 

It doesn't matter what payment was agreed on. The only thing that matters is what's funded in escrow. Whatever is in escrow is what you will get even if you open a dispute and take it all the way to arbitration. 

You have been paid $30 for the first character module, (which is what was agreed on) On all the other models and revisions you did, you did for free. 

In the future make sure escrow if FULLY funded for whatever was agreed on for each milestone BEFORE you start work no matter what the client may tell you or try to convince you. 

It sounds like the first milestone was for the first character only. You shouldn't have started work on the second character until the second milestone was created, activated and funded. The client has no obligation to proceed with unactivated milestones.

You don't necessarily need to have the whole of the contract funded before you start work. Just don't work ahead of what's been funded.

This is the last day to release the 30$ on escrow ma'am, seems like the contract is on hold "again" and not by accident because it's been hold 2x, the first one he tells me he'll fix it right away and now the contract is on hold for the last day to release the 30$. Should I just wait sir? thanks

Hi Arnold,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client. Just to confirm that your contract is on hold from our end. Our team is communicating with your client about resolving this and once it's resolved the hold will be lifted. To learn more about how you`re protected on fixed price contracts check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Arnold Dominic V wrote:

Good day everyone! I'm new to upwork. I have a client asked me to 3d animate and rigged his 16 character models. So we have a deal that it will be 30$ per character models as seen in my proposal. After showing him my work per character animation done as "gif", I ask him kindly if I will submit the work on the contract, the client wants me to animate his another character again without a second milestone he said "no rush". After 2 weeks of sending some gifs to show that it's done and I let him check for free revisions, I finally finished to animate and rig his 16 character models. The client promised me a 480$ for all the work already done, but only 30$ is on the milestone. I ask him kindly how our contract works, but he replies too little, like "ok" "sure" "great". Now recently he wants me to animate another character but I stopped because of the payment assurance. Can I still get the promised 480$ payment. I have evidence in our messages that I'm continuously working on his project.

No, you cannot get that payment unless the client agrees to send you a bonus. Messages mean nothing, what's in escrow means everything.

Despite what others might suggest, and considering the quality of clients who seem to be flooding Upwork lately, it really is best to request that milestones be fully funded and stick to that. Clients can release partial agreed-upon amounts and the balance moves to the next milestone. If they balk at that, you'll find out how serious they are about a $400+ budget. Read up on how this works so you'll know better next time.

I see that the client has left great feedback and a desire to work with you again - I hope he does approach you for more work, then you'll get your chance to say "thanks, but no thanks".

Thank you for the advice sir, I think the one you saw in my feedback was my first client. This problem is on my 2nd client, he's still not accepting the request I send on the first payment. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths