cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please take a second and see if my profile is ok?

Anita F Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
1 of 6

I just  need to know if I am on the right track. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

@Anita F wrote:

I just  need to know if I am on the right track. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Very quick, I just read your profile diagonally but:

- 20+ yr English Teacher for proofreading/editing

and

- $15.00 /hr

No way. 20+ years of experience and a low price is not consistent.

- forum writing 

You mean fake forum posts writing? And before you say anything, sorry but this is mostly what forum writing is. You will find such jobs here, plenty of them. They pay peanuts (sometimes) or not at all (mostly), because they are scammers in the first place (who else wants fake posts on forums?)

"I just stumbled upon this site and I am excited to be able to provide my services to so many different areas!! I am now retired from teaching, so I am extremely flexible with respect to my working hours. "

What? Get rid of this, like really. And if you're a proofreader, avoid double punctuations.

You need a portfolio.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Anita F Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
3 of 6

Thank you for you input. Will make the necessary changes. Do you have a suggestion for a rate that would be appropriate for me? I was taking into consideration I have not completed any jobs on this site. Thanks again for the input!!! 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 6

Anita, browse the profiles of other writers, here on the forums and by searching them on Upwork. See what they charge and compare with your own experience.

Don't fall in the trap of accepting cheap jobs in order to get started, I swear, you'll regret it later when your profile will be full of cheap rate history.

Read all this first (I mean seriously, all of this, and twice): Getting Started on Upwork

Then, once you're done, read this: freelancetowin.com

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
5 of 6

Just to add to what has already been said: As a freelancer, you'll generally need to make more to account for taxes, insurance, software like Quickbooks, etc.

Being new on this platform means less than many people think it does. You have quite a bit of experience. You're a professional. If you present yourself as such, you can command a reasonable rate even with your lack of Upwork history. 

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
6 of 6

Everything Rene said in a nutshell.  Also, remember, you are a freelancer now, not a teacher.  Teacher's wages are ridiculous.  You know this very well.  The idea is to make a living wage, not the same peanuts the government was willing to pay you before.  Smiley Wink

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS