🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Can't Verify ID as I'm Not A Citizen Of M...
Page options
koreandeveloper
Community Member

Can't Verify ID as I'm Not A Citizen Of My Mailing Address

Dear UpWork Staff,

I've resided in NJ, USA for over 15 years and recently I've changed my mailing address to Florida. I am, however, neither a citizen or green card holder of the United States. I am a South Korean citizen and we can enter and leave the United States as we please, without a visa.

How can I verify my ID without changing my mailing address? I want to receive my checks at my Florida mailing address, if upwork sends them there. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you are in the United States legally, you can easily get ID which shows your current address, wherever that may be. You can get a driver's license. You can get a non-drivers state ID card. There are MANY uses for picture ID aside from simply verifying your address with Upwork. You could probably go do this at a local office within an hour.

re: "How can I verify my ID without changing my mailing address? I want to receive my checks at my Florida mailing address, if upwork sends them there. Thanks."

Don't worry about where you want checks sent. Upwork doesn't send physical checks anyway. You can withdraw money directly to a U.S. bank account.

What you want to do is get picture ID showing your current mailing address - where you physically live right now. That is what you will use to verify your identity if asked. And you will use that address in your Upwork identity settings for your address, city, etc.

I am here legally, but I entered with a passport only.

South Korean citizens can legally enter the United States without a VISA with just a passport based on treaty.

I do not qualify for a non-driver's license state ID or a driver's license or a LPR (green) card because I am not a LPR card.

I wish to verify my identity with my South Korean address, but do, in fact, receive mail in Miami, Florida.

Hi Woo,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Woo, 

I would like to reconfirm what Preston shared - payments for work you have completed for a client on Upwork should be done through the Upwork. Payments outside of Upwork are not allowed, as this is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. 

You should also be able to use either of the acceptable IDs to verify your locadtion - driver's license, U.S. passport, state ID card, green card.

Since you are new here, I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

You may also need the correct work documents to be able to freelance while in the U.S. Please consult with a legal advisor regarding working as a freelancer in the United States. 

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Woo H wrote:

Dear UpWork Staff,

I've resided in NJ, USA for over 15 years and recently I've changed my mailing address to Florida. I am, however, neither a citizen or green card holder of the United States. I am a South Korean citizen and we can enter and leave the United States as we please, without a visa.

How can I verify my ID without changing my mailing address? I want to receive my checks at my Florida mailing address, if upwork sends them there. Thanks.

You are quite wrong when you say that as a South Korean citizen you don't need a visa. When you travel to the US and stay for under 90 days, yes, you don't need to apply for a visa, but you technically are travelling under a tourist visa, and are not allowed to work in the US. So unless you are legally allowed to work in the US, I would not have an upwork account if I were you.

I hope I have interpreted your post wrongly, and you have a work permit.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths