🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Can't find myself on Upwork search
Page options
05df93c7
Community Member

Can't find myself on Upwork search

I have tried doing a search to find myself on upwork and I don't seem to exist here. I try every filter to narrow it down and even put in my name in Advanced Search. It doesn't find me. Why don't I seem to exist on Upwork? How can a client find me??? My profile has been accepted and seems set for public viewing.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Eric F wrote:

But someone who specifically knows me should be able to do a targeted search using my specific parameters, including my name.  

Nobody is found my their full name. Clients don't search for freelancers on Upwork by name, unless they already know the freelancer, and if that is the case, why are they searching for them and not just talking to the freelancer directly?

I included a link that showed that a targeted search with filters finds you just fine.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
JoanneP

Hi Eric,

If you are trying to see if clients can find you in search results, please note that search results will be different depending on who is searching. The results you see will differ from the results a client gets searching for a particular job they posted. That way we want to make sure that every professional gets a chance to be discovered and every client finds what they are looking for.

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Eric F wrote:

Why don't I seem to exist on Upwork? How can a client find me??? My profile has been accepted and seems set for public viewing.

When you first join the platform, expecting to be found by clients is unrealistic. There are so many freelancers in every category, the the chances of appearin high up in random searches are low. Once you have become established, this will probably change. If you want to win work, you have to apply for appropriate job posts.

A targeted search with filters finds you just fine by the way.

05df93c7
Community Member

But Petra, I'm not doing a random search. I'm filtering in every way, including my name with an advanced search. I can find other people in my line of work who have $0 earned on Upwork. They are nobodies like me with no contracts worked and I can find them. 

I know that I will not show up high in any client's general search, and I am submiting proposals - I now how it works.  But someone who specifically knows me should be able to do a targeted search using my specific parameters, including my name.  And there will soon be a couple clients on Upwork that specifically know me, so I just wanted to make sure I was findable. 

I searched for myself during the first week that I was an Upwork freelancer - seven years ago. Then I realized it was a waste of my time to do so.

I can't hire myself.

When I do a search, the results are different than when others do a search.

Nowadays I don't search for myself. But I know that clients an find me because if I set my profile to available, I get many high-quality invites every week.

petra_r
Community Member

Eric F wrote:

But someone who specifically knows me should be able to do a targeted search using my specific parameters, including my name.  

Nobody is found my their full name. Clients don't search for freelancers on Upwork by name, unless they already know the freelancer, and if that is the case, why are they searching for them and not just talking to the freelancer directly?

I included a link that showed that a targeted search with filters finds you just fine.

I wish someone would search for me.  I tried, on my FL and my client account, and I don't come up at all if I search "paralegal"

Mary W. - I did a search for you with no filters and you were not in the first 10 pages. I then filtered for 100% job success and you were not in the first 10 pages. I then added your hourly wage range ($30-60) and you came on on the 10th page. 

I found people with lower job success than you (as low as in the 70's) and also people who have earned only a a couple thousand. Some of these came up in the first few pages.  

I have no idea how the search algorithm works! On the one hand it's wierd that much less experienced people showed up before you, with lower job success.  On the other hand, as a noobie here I'm kind of glad to see there were some newer people listed higher up. They need to be seen too. I'm brand new to Upwork and have nothing to show here, but I have being at my work for 15 yerars.

Anyway, you seem to be pretty successful here, so congrats on that :-). 

05df93c7
Community Member

Petra, thank you for doing that search for me, I feel better :-).  It's just really stressful starting out here.

And as I mentioned earlier there will be one or two people coming to Upwork who do know and will search for me, though I realize that will very rarely be the case.  Thanks again for your help.

7ba9aa11
Community Member

False.  You may have been in touch through Upwork before, without contracting, but deleted a message, and want to reach back out to that specific freelancer.  It hurts everyone when you cannot find them in a search then.

2f2a4223
Community Member

This does not work when I try to find my profile. My client can also not find my profile, even though I sent a direct link to it. And my profile is set to public - I lose credits for it every day. Upwork's chatbot said there could be a "technical issue" and stated I should go to contact support but there is no link and I don't find a "contact support" option anywhere. This is piss poor.

Hi Luanne,

I checked and can confirm that your account is visible in the marketplace using a few filters.

759e32fa_0-1700552310192.png

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths