cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get jobs

Highlighted
Diladileni W Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
1 of 12
I am new on this site and the past 3 days I have been sending proposals and yet nothing, so if I don't upgrade meaning I don't get a job basically it's a 50/50 chance to non unless I upgrade.

Reason I am sending this is cause being asked to upgrade doesn't work for everyone specially when you haven had a job yet and getting messages like "I am out of connects" I really don't understand that.

It might seem like just a $10 to upgrade but converting it in my currency that's a lot of money. I thought I came to make money on the site and not loose it.
Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 12

If you're saying you used all 60 connects in 3 days, meaning you applied to 30 jobs in 3 days, that's way too many. Be more selective in applying. Suppose instead of no results, you were hired for 10 jobs. Then what, can you do 10 jobs at once?

Christopher B Member Since: Jul 11, 2015
3 of 12

Viewing your profile i see 2 possible red flags for employers. The first is your $30 per hour listing. Many people here in the US are scrambling for $30 per hour for office work. The second is that you are currently employed. That could limit your availability in rush situations.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
4 of 12

Upgrading is not always the best solution, especially when you are just starting as a freelancer.

I suggest you take on more skills test to add more value to your profile (also add other skills, experience,etc) that may be relevant to your job scope. So when clients check your application, your profile would standout among the other freelancers increasing your chances of getting hired.

Also aim for job/roles that you are good at and excel. Applying or taking a any job that you do not know may have a negative result, employers might give you a unsatisfactory rate when they are not satisfied with your performance. Having a good status in Upwork increase your chances of getting rehired or sought by other employers/companies.

Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 12
I am new on this site and the past 3 days I have been sending proposals and yet nothing, so if I don't upgrade meaning I don't get a job basically it's a 50/50 chance to non unless I upgrade.

Reason I am sending this is cause being asked to upgrade doesn't work for everyone specially when you haven had a job yet and getting messages like "I am out of connects" I really don't understand that.

It might seem like just a $10 to upgrade but converting it in my currency that's a lot of money. I thought I came to make money on the site and not loose it.
Highlighted
6 of 12

I thought if one is new one the site and needs to apply to as many jobs as they can, I have so far in the 3 days applied for 15 jobs and was told I was out of connects. Yes suppose I get 10 jobs I won't be able to do them but choose. It's better then applying for one job a day to nothing.
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 12

Hi Diladileni,

It may take some time  and perseverance to get started on Upwork. You may want to improve your profile and make sure you use full sentences in your overview, add a few portfolio items and take some tests to showcase your skills. Send well-written proposals to jobs within your skillset. Fewer quality proposals are better than many generic ones.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 12

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't know anyone who found a job here in three days. It took me a few weeks.

I can't think of anything at all about upgrading that would help you get hired, unless you're thinking you'd buy a bunch of connects and apply for a huge number of jobs. That's generally a bad strategy, and you'd be better off focusing on the jobs you're truly the very best person for rather than any that you can do. 

If you hope to command a high rate of pay, you may want to change your overview so that a line that basically says "I can do super-easy work that requires no skills at all and your 12-year-old will do for ice cream" isn't the very first thing clients see.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Abdulmoti S Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
9 of 12

First, it seems to me using up all 60 connections in 3 days a bit weird, and secondly it is too ambitious to expect to get jobs from first 3 days. You have to be selective and apply to the jobs that you think, you have a chances to be considered and not at random, also reconsidered your hourly rate, $30 dollars an hour is too much especially when you are just starting, take a look at the profiles of people who offer similar services as yours, and see what they might be doing right.  And the 60 connections are refilled once a month, so you can wait for refill if you do not want to upgrade. Patience and focus on the right assignments for you are the key here. Best of luck..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 12

Your problem isn't that you applied to too many jobs. Your problem was that you were not selective enough in the jobs you applied to, and you didn't take enough time and thought when applying to each job.

The truth is, you COULD apply to 30 jobs all in one day. You're so new, you're not going to get them all.

Worst case scenario: You get hired for two or three, and that's enough to keep you busy. And if anybody else offers to hire you, you can simply decline.

But that's not what I suggest you do. I suggest you spend a lot of time looking for jobs that you are perfectly suited for, and spend a lot of time applying to those jobs using very brief proposals which make it clear how you are going to make the client's project better.