cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't really make a living if you have alot of skills.

williamshu
Ace Contributor
William S Member Since: Feb 7, 2017
21 of 23

Bear with me, I'm trying something out...

HI FRANCISCO,

I SHARED YOUR FRUSTRATION BUT DON'T APPLY FOR EVERYTHING BECAUSE DON'T FORGET YOU ARE IN THE SAME POOL, AND COMPETING, WITH OTHER MORE SUCCESSFUL FREELANCERS.  MAYBE SPEND TIME APPLYING FOR SMALLER JOB TO BUILD YOUR JSS UP OR WORK ON THAT KILLER PROPOSAL:

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/submitting-a-winning-proposal-on-upwork/

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU OTHER THAN A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT BUT SOME HAVE MADE IT SO HANG IN THERE AND BE PATIENT.

MAYBE WORTH READING UP ON GUIDES AND STRATEGIES UPWORK PROVIDES OR LOOK AT SOME OF THE SUCCESS STORIES FOR SOME CREATIVE INSPIRATION.

HOPE THAT HELPS OR NOT.

ALL THE BEST.

ANGRY STEVE.

---
72.4% of all stats are made up including this one.
hospemex
Francisco B Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
22 of 23

My only conclusion(based on how difficult they make bidding on the multiude of short-term projects) is that UPWORK is not looking to be an ALL-in-ONE site. They are only interested in facilitating long-term projects; so they obviously want to leave space for other sites to compete in the marketplace. That is mighty nice of them.

Most companies find greater success in listening to their clients. So it's surprisingly refreshing when UPWORK's basic response is something like, "shut-up and deal with it."

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
23 of 23

@Francisco B wrote:

My only conclusion(based on how difficult they make bidding on the multiude of short-term projects) is that UPWORK is not looking to be an ALL-in-ONE site. They are only interested in facilitating long-term projects; so they obviously want to leave space for other sites to compete in the marketplace. That is mighty nice of them.

Most companies find greater success in listening to their clients. So it's surprisingly refreshing when UPWORK's basic response is something like, "shut-up and deal with it."

Upwork does not have any real competitors, and those that fancy themselves to be competion, got that way through their own efforts, not because Upwork had made it possible for them.

You may also want to consider the fact that some of the most successful contractors here got to be successful because they service a large number of clients with once-off contracts that lead to other once-off contracts with the same clients.