🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Can't start work due to unresponsive clie...
Page options
jmtaleno
Community Member

Can't start work due to unresponsive client

Hello,

I am very happy that I finally got a client yesterday. But since we can't start working yet as they need to setup something on their side first. I am keeping them updated on what I do but I didn't hear back from them about the status of the setup.

I can't start tracking my hours though since I am dependent on them. Is this something that other freelancers have experienced too? Appreciate the responses!

Sincerely,
Joey
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jose:

You made a tactical mistake.

You accepted an hourly contract BEFORE you had enough input materials or instructions to start work.

Don't do that.

What if the contract closes and you never do any work?

This WOULD hurt your JSS score.

This is your mistake, not the client's mistake.

In the future, wait. Do not click the accept button until you hae enough information or input materials to do at least TEN MINUTES of work.

Then, when you accept the contract, quickly do at least ten minutes of work.

That will ensure that you do not end up with a zero-pay contract.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jose:

You made a tactical mistake.

You accepted an hourly contract BEFORE you had enough input materials or instructions to start work.

Don't do that.

What if the contract closes and you never do any work?

This WOULD hurt your JSS score.

This is your mistake, not the client's mistake.

In the future, wait. Do not click the accept button until you hae enough information or input materials to do at least TEN MINUTES of work.

Then, when you accept the contract, quickly do at least ten minutes of work.

That will ensure that you do not end up with a zero-pay contract.

Thanks Preston! Appreciate your honest feedback. And I will definitely keep this in mind. I got excited since this is my very first offer as I have been waiting for so long.

Is there anything that I can still do to my situation?
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Jose Mari T wrote:
Hello,

I am very happy that I finally got a client yesterday. But since we can't start working yet as they need to setup something on their side first. I am keeping them updated on what I do but I didn't hear back from them about the status of the setup.

I can't start tracking my hours though since I am dependent on them. Is this something that other freelancers have experienced too? Appreciate the responses!

Sincerely,
Joey

You should not start ANY work before you have a contract in place. What are you updating your (possibly, future) client about?

It is a matter of seconds to send you an offer. Whatever issues the client may have on his side, wait for him to resolve this. I you don't hear from a client for 24 hours, I would not exactly call that unresponsive. 

So be patient, and curb your enthusiasm!

Hello Martina,

I actually have a contract with a client. But I am not able to start work due to dependecies on my client's end. Yes I stand corrected. I have to work on my patience. The contract will end on Oct 4 though.
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Just have some patience.

In my experience, it is not unusual for clients to first hire a freelancer and then spend some time getting their documentation or thoughts together. 

But you should ask all important questions about the work you'll be expected to do before you agree to do a project. If this is your first freelancing project, you'll need a few more before you figure out how to deal with clients, but assuming the worst is not a good way to start out.

Thanks for the advice Will! So it seems like clients are usually like that you say?

I usually deal with a certain type of businessperson, Jose Mari. The types of jobs you will apply to may be posted by very different types of clients - younger/older, experienced/inexperienced, budget conscious/willing to pay for high quality, knowledgeable about how Upwork works/indifferent to Upwork’s procedures and rules, etc.

Regardless, it is in your interest to settle with the client everything important about a project before you agree to do it. You will get better at that with time, and after making a few mistakes. 

Yes hopefully. Will definitely keep this in mind next time Will!

kat303
Community Member

Jose - It is unwise to accept an offer without seeing the material or having any questions or details answered before you accept an offer. All that should be done in the interview stage. Once you have that, you can then accept the offer and start working. (of course, if it's a fixed rate job, escrow needs to be funded before you start working.)

On future jobs, you can always message your client and let them know you will accept their offer as soon as you get the material (or whatever) needed for the job. 

jmtaleno
Community Member

Thanks Kathy for that straight feedback. Really appreciate it! Will definitely do it next time. It's just that I've got carried away by having a first gig!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths