🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Can we ask the clients for five-star rati...
Page options
xeekhan123
Community Member

Can we ask the clients for five-star rating and reviews?

Can I ask the client for five-star rating and reviews after completion of a project?
Is it not against the T&C of Upwork?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

No. This is "Feedback Manipulation."
This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Aside from that, it is an unprofessional and annoying thing for a freelancer to do.

Feel free to ask the client to close a contract when the work is done.

I do that.

But I never mention feedback.

And as a client who has hired over 80 freelancers, I can tell you that I am very annoyed by freelancers who do this. It definitely makes me want to NOT hire them again.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

No. This is "Feedback Manipulation."
This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Aside from that, it is an unprofessional and annoying thing for a freelancer to do.

Feel free to ask the client to close a contract when the work is done.

I do that.

But I never mention feedback.

And as a client who has hired over 80 freelancers, I can tell you that I am very annoyed by freelancers who do this. It definitely makes me want to NOT hire them again.

yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

You can't ask for a 5-stars feedback rather you may ask your client for a positive feedback in a professional manner.
There are many ways to ask a client for a positive feedback, but you must always do so in a professional manner that isn’t too demanding or annoying.
For instance, you can ask for feedback using this kind of message:
"Hello,
It looks like our contract is coming to an end in two weeks. It has been a great experience for me, and I look forward to receiving your sincere feedback rating for my services as well as your thoughts on the work experience as a whole."

Yeasir:

Personally, I don't mention feedback.

I am not really bothered by your suggestion about asking for "sincere" feedback. I'm not going to do it, but I wouldn't consider it unprofessional or a violation of Upwork ToS.

I disagree with asking for "positive" feedback.

I would still regard that as manipulative and outside what Upwork intends for freelancers to do.

I used to feel the same way, but then I noticed that clients that I had a great time working with wouldn't bother leaving any comments. The rating would be 5 stars, but no words.

What I learned was they simply didn't think it mattered much at all. And yet, when I asked them if they read the previous references before they hired me, they ALL say "of course I did, those were extremely important for making the choice".

So now, I do not hesitate to remind the client that a few sentences of honest feedback after closing the project would be extremely helpful. Not a single person ever hesitated. And they always do it again, after the following projects.

kat303
Community Member

The client should close a contract, if they do that, they HAVE to leave feedback, so there is no need to ask for it.

They do not have to leave the feedback part; regrettably, I know.

Terrance G wrote:

They do not have to leave the feedback part; regrettably, I know.

What are you talking about. If the client closes the contract they Have to leave feedback. They may not leave comments, but they have to leave both the number of stars which is shown publicly and the recommendation score which is private and is used in the calculation of your JSS.

If a freelancers closes the contract, the client is notified that they can leave feedback, but many do not. 

inshaal69
Community Member

can we ask our client to give feedback on trustpilot after project get done?

Hi Muhammad Inshaal,

Thank you for your query. On Upwork, neither party is necessarily required to leave feedback. Lack of feedback does not impact your Job Success Score, either. While we know it’s ideal for all your clients to leave feedback, neither you nor we can require them to do so. Your best bet is to politely ask for honest feedback.

If a client does not close a project, feel free to do so on your end and leave feedback for your client. Receiving feedback from you may encourage them to reciprocate, and they’ll have 14 days to leave a review. You may want to check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths