๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป New to Upwork ยป Re: Can you help me? No one is hiring me
Page options
alexandralotus
Community Member

Can you help me? No one is hiring me

Hi there!

I am hoping someone can help me. I have been on upwork now for a couple of months and though I have not been actively applying each and every day, I have sent out many proposals for jobs that I feel I am well qualified for, however, I have never once heard back from a single client I sent a proposal to.

I have read many blogs about how important my profile is and my proposals as well. In my proposals, I am kind with a to-the-point approach, outlining why I would be a valuable asset to their project and what in my experience qualifies me for the position. I take the time to write a thoughtful, unique proposal for each job. I showcase my portfolio and website and ask them questions. I even ask to further discuss details through a video chat. 

I have taken upwork quizzes and have filled out my profile in a way that I see as complete and professional.

However, there must be something that I am missing. I am hoping that maybe someone can take a look at my profile and tell me if there are any red flags or something I should do differently. I just can't seem to figure out why I am not getting a response from these jobs that I feel qualified for and excited about. 

Thank you for your time and support!

Alexandra

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Alexandra, I think your profile looks good but could do with rearranging. When clients look at a list of proposals all they see is the first couple of lines. You don't want to repeat what your title is already saying, you want to compell them to click and find out more.

What is your USP (unique selling point?) Present it in a compelling manner on your first line.

I also think you are positioning yourself all wrong pricewise.

Way too cheap. Double your hourly rate. At least.

You are too expensive for the cheapskate clients you don't want to work with anyway, and too cheap to be taken serious by the serious clients with the big budgets, and the middle ground is too crowded.

So double your rate and write a killer intro for your overview. (First 2 lines need to scream "CLICK ON ME!!!"

Same goes for your proposal. First line MUST make them want to click on you!

If clients aren't enticed to look at your proposal (most aren't even read) there is no point.

Awesome! Petra, thank you so much for your feedback. I will work on making those modifications. ๐Ÿ™
prestonhunter
Community Member

The first thing I noticed was that the profile photo shows a person whose face is in shadow.

So I assumed you were a statistician or back-end programmer or somebody who doesn't deal with visual content.

Then I looked and saw that you prominently identify yourself as a photographer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths